Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery degrading fast on iPhone 12 Pro. Faulty battery?

Hello. This is very strange. Two iPhone devices, first of them is older than the other, but its battery health is better:

Usage condition of right-hand device is much more moderate than the one on left, but its battery health percentage is less :(

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 12:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 12:43 AM

Batteries do vary with manufacturer but in any case 95.5%, although disappointing, is not inconsistent with a 5 month old phone and would not be a warranty case unless it got to 79% inside the 12 months (standard limited warranty).

The value in Settings, Battery would be taken as the correct measure by Apple.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2021 12:43 AM in response to damir.abdullin

Batteries do vary with manufacturer but in any case 95.5%, although disappointing, is not inconsistent with a 5 month old phone and would not be a warranty case unless it got to 79% inside the 12 months (standard limited warranty).

The value in Settings, Battery would be taken as the correct measure by Apple.

Oct 24, 2021 5:38 PM in response to damir.abdullin

And you can say with 100% confidence, both phones have been used identically in terms of hours of use and battery charges? Batteries are not exact. And no two batteries will decline exactly the same. But the Battery Health measurement on iPhone is based on full cycle battery charges. It's highly unlikely the two phones have been used the exact same amount of time and undergone the exact same amount of full cycle battery charges.

I honestly wish Apple had NEVER brought Battery Health monitoring to iPhone. People are obsessing over it needlessly. Every phone you've ever owned had battery health decline. You just never had the ability to check it. You also never really worried about it. Now you do and it's pointless. If your battery declines below 80% in the first 12 months, you have an issue and Apple will replace the battery under warranty. Since it's virtually impossible for that to happen on your phones, just stop worrying about. Your phone will actually tell you when it's time to replace the battery.

Oct 24, 2021 5:44 PM in response to damir.abdullin

I have no idea who CoconutGrove is, but I would only go by what my phone told me its battery health is. Why are you even putting any faith in a 3rd party service?

You don't have an issue with your phones. You're worrying over nothing. And there is nothing we as users on this user to user only forum can do for you and Apple won't either, because your batteries are operating within design parameters and expectations.

My final comment on this. You can reply again, but there's nothing more that needs to be said.

Battery degrading fast on iPhone 12 Pro. Faulty battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.