Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Battery health issue with iOS 15.0.2

My iphone 12 battery health is degrading after every ios upgrade, just happened again with recent upgrade to 15.0.2. I see many people are posting about the same, is this a known issue or can it be rectified???

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 6:29 AM

People are just more likely to check their battery health after an update. Updating itself doesn't reduce battery health. Battery health reduces with ever full cycle battery charge. It is a never ending thing and battery health will continue to decline until the battery dips to 80% or less and then it will be time to pay Apple to replace the battery.

Batteries are consumable parts. You can't stop their health from declining.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2021 6:29 AM in response to amrita129

People are just more likely to check their battery health after an update. Updating itself doesn't reduce battery health. Battery health reduces with ever full cycle battery charge. It is a never ending thing and battery health will continue to decline until the battery dips to 80% or less and then it will be time to pay Apple to replace the battery.

Batteries are consumable parts. You can't stop their health from declining.

Oct 25, 2021 4:52 AM in response to LD150

It’s really bad on my end because after I updated to iOS 15.0.2, my iPhone 12’s battery health of 100% dropped to 97% and then after 1 day, drops to 96%. Plus it heats up. Today, it didn’t heat up as badly maybe because I updated all my apps. It still sucks because I’ve been keeping my battery health at 100% for the past 10 months then this happens

Oct 30, 2021 5:28 PM in response to amrita129

Update: today my battery health dipped down to 95%. My iPhone 12 is heating up faster than usual and it’s draining battery faster than usual. I’ve updated all apps but I think I need to get out of iOs 15.0.2 and onto 15.1 and hope it fixes things. Tech support said nothing was wrong with my battery. I’m really irked and hate that it shouldn’t have gone down from 100% because I have been taking care of my battery’s health so well. I noticed the change in battery health ever since updating to iOS 15.0.2. This annoys me now so much.

Oct 30, 2021 6:02 PM in response to MargauxdelaPaz

What part of you CANNOT stop Battery Health decline do you not understand? There is literally NO WAY to stop your Battery Health from declining. NONE. ZIP. Every time you fully charge your battery it's health will decline a little. It's what batteries do. ALL BATTERIES. You can't stop it. So, getting upset over something which is normal and 100% expected is a waste of time.

Oct 30, 2021 6:23 PM in response to lobsterghost1

You’re not being helpful nor understanding of the situation. The fact that I noticed a change in my iPhone HEATING UP frequently NOW with 1-2 apps open since I have a habit of closing all my apps after I use them IS ALARMING for me. Why are you even attacking me on this when I just need a solution to my issue. Because my phone is constantly in front of cool ventilation just because it heats up after 1-2 minutes of use. THAT IS ALARMING TO ME. And every time it HEATS UP like this, it drains the battery health. THAT IS WHAT I HAVE NOTICED. Really, Lobster, you’re rude and unhelpful to someone new to the community. I told you, I understand what happens to a battery. What I do not understand is that I have to constantly have my phone SO NEAR THE AC all the time because it heats up and this DID NOT HAPPEN TO ME FOR THE PAST 10 months! Understand that THIS is the reason for my worry. Stop being rude for once in your life.

Oct 30, 2021 6:47 PM in response to MargauxdelaPaz

Yes, you should update to 15.1. But you said and I quote: "I’m really irked and hate that it shouldn’t have gone down from 100% because I have been taking care of my battery’s health so well." That is not a statement from someone who "understands" what happens to batteries.

You are complaining about two totally different issues. I addressed the Battery Health concern, which should not be a concern, whether you like that or not.

As to why your phone is getting warm. Do you see a warning on your screen that the phone needs to cool down? If no, your phone is not overheating. When an iPhone exceeds normal operating parameters, it notifies you it has. iPhone's get warm while using them. If you notice it warm at times, make note of what you're doing at that time. For example, are you watching a video? Your phone will get warm. The battery is being used harder watching a video, or playing a game, or streaming music.

Also, it is NOT necessary to force close applications you are not using. That will not make your phone hot. iPhone suspends apps not in use. And it uses more memory and battery power to reopen fully closed apps again.

iPhone 12 Battery health issue with iOS 15.0.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.