Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

block text messages sent from email

Dear Apple,

Why isn't there an option to block messages from emails?

Is that not possible to write some code to be able to block emails to text?

Obviously spammers are making use of that.

i don't get any valid emails in my text message folder that are valid. i only receive emails that are spam to my text message. I'd bet that most people have this same experience.

You want to be user friendly ... please be user friendly. Please let us block emails to our text message.

I love you. I hope you love me, too.

Jeff

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 8:43 AM

These are coming in as SMS (green bubble) texts which falls within the purview of cell service providers so no Apple cannot write code to prevent it. Spammers started this to get around blocking techniques that some cell service providers put in place. Check with your cell service provider and find out how to report them.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2021 8:43 AM in response to AppleComm1981

These are coming in as SMS (green bubble) texts which falls within the purview of cell service providers so no Apple cannot write code to prevent it. Spammers started this to get around blocking techniques that some cell service providers put in place. Check with your cell service provider and find out how to report them.

Oct 22, 2021 6:26 AM in response to deggie

Actually, Apple aboslutely has the ability prevent these SMS messages from arriving on iOS or MacOS devices. A simple rule could be created that looks at the sender's address. If it is an email address (especially gmail, hotmail, live, etc.) then give an option to either never allow them to be presented in messages or filter them to the "unknown" senders.

But to be clear, the ultimate issue lies with Google and Microsoft since nearly all of the emails come from their email services. They could easily identify the accounts that are sending bit.ly links to large numbers of users simultaneously and shut those accounts down. As a matter of fact, they could build a rule in their systems to not allow that behavior at all. There is no legitimate business reason to allow them to do so.

Oct 22, 2021 1:45 PM in response to roehrhand

No, actually they don’t. They can hide them based on the email address but that will eventually be pretty large database and new addresses will still come through. Again, SMS is under the purview of cell service providers, they won’t take kindly Apple writing code that hacks into their systems. And blocking three major email providers is not realistic. Neither is blaming them for this problem.

block text messages sent from email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.