Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac not turning on!

I have an older iMac that starts to boot up and half way through it stops and the screen goes black!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 12:38 PM

5 replies

Oct 20, 2021 1:49 PM in response to UnsureMacUser

Good luck, I suspect it is a hardware failure and will require repair or replacement. If the computer is a 2013 or earlier it is obsolete which means parts no longer made and Apple Stores cannot repair it. You can seek out a third part Apple Authorized Service Provider ( AASP Locator ) and see if they can help. If it is older than a 2013, please consider replacing it with a newer Mac.

Oct 20, 2021 2:26 PM in response to UnsureMacUser

Those old 2009's were work horses, they just lasted a long time but I think your decision is wise. Please take it to your local electronics recycler (if you are in the US any Best Buy will take it) or contact Apple's recycling program ( Apple Trade In - Apple) and they can take it. I can tell you a 2009 has no monetary value on the Trade In program however they should accept it for recycling.

As for a replacement Mac you have LOTs of choices with Macs these days. You may want to consider a new M1 24" iMac or the M1 Mac Mini's are really nice too. Whatever you get buy one with at least 16GB of RAM and the largest SSD you can afford. Also note, your old legacy 32 bit apps will not run on the versions of Mac OS on new Macs so be prepared to either upgrade or replace them. Finally, if you have been using Time Machine to backup the 2009, please hold onto the TM backup EHD and you can use the info in Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant to migrate to the new Mac.

Best!

Mac not turning on!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.