Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur upgrade “Less than 1 minute remaining”

Have you had the Big Sur install fail like this?

Had my worst MAC experience today. After upgrading a small office, with 6 iMacs, I had it fail on the bosses mission critical iMac. It got to one minute remaining and permanently hung.

This machine was less than a year old with a 2TB Fusion drive. It was running parallels and windows 10. I have the store started and will finish up tomorrow.

I’m so disappointed and don’t trust the drive anymore.

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 1:49 PM

Yes to all. When support couldn’t resolve the “fix” was to restore the backup. I did that to get the system back but it was a huge time sucker.

I don’t trust the drive any longer and will buy a real SSD instead of the Fusion apple offers.

2 replies

Oct 21, 2021 1:45 PM in response to JoeRealtor

Hello JoeRealtor,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand your frustration as the Mac is stuck at "Less than 1 min remaining" while you were trying to upgrade to Big Sur. We'd like to help.

How long was it stuck on that screen "Less than 1 minute remaining"?

Have you tried starting up in Safe Mode? If not, check this out:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Also, have you tried to restart the device in Recovery Mode, and reinstall Big Sur from there?

Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Big Sur upgrade “Less than 1 minute remaining”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.