You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBookPro (2019) camera not working

No app receives video input from the built-in camera (tried FaceTime, Photo Booth, Teams, Skype, FB Messenger). The "FaceTime Camera" component does show up in the Hardware List, so it is recognised. No green light.

Ticked all debugging checkboxes:

1. no restrictions in security/privacy settings for Camera (Accessibility settings)
  2. killed all apps possibly using the camera from two Terminal commands (VDCAssistant, AppleCameraAssistant);
  3. obviously restarted, shut down several times;
  4. performed the SMC (System Management Controller) reset;
  5. reset the NVRAM;
  6. checked in Safe Mode: no camera;
  7. ran Apple Diagnostics with a "no issues found" result;
  8. Mac OS X has the freshest possibleupdates installed;
  9. No malware (ran CleanMyMac)
  10. ran Onyx

Any further hints in addition to above would be apprciated.

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 11:55 PM

6 replies

Oct 21, 2021 7:43 PM in response to llager

llager Said:

"MacBookPro (2019) camera not working: No app receives video input from the built-in camera (tried FaceTime, Photo Booth, Teams, Skype, FB Messenger). The 'FaceTime Camera' component does show up in the Hardware List, so it is recognised. No green light.[...]"

-------

Reinstall the macOS:

The files went missing somehow. So, reinstall the macOS. Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support.

Important: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to all of this. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

Oct 23, 2021 12:22 AM in response to TheLittles

Thanks, TheLittles. You are completely right about reinstalling. I am aware that I haven't tried this one, but I just didn't feel patient enough to perfrom it – plus it sounds a very Windows-ish solution from Win2000/WinXP/Vista times :-)

In addition, the MBP is my working horse and I need it to be ready all times.

Luckily, I can accept that the camera is missing for the time being.

When I'm at my desk, I don't miss it because the MPB is connected to an external monitor whose camera works seamlessly.

MacBookPro (2019) camera not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.