Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Safari not working after update to OS 10.10.5

Has anyone had this problem?

My mother was prompted to do the latest update (to OS 10.10.5) and update her Safari, but now her Safari has a cross through it and won't open.

It says "You can't use this version of the application "Safari" with this version of OS X".

Has anyone had anyting similar? It seems odd that Mac would offer an upgrade that makes its own products obsolete...

Any advice would be much appreciated!

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 4:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 11:29 AM

I suggest you reinstall the OS. Do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart or hold down the option/alt key during a restart and select Recovery Volume). Run Disk Utility Verify/Repair Disk and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Then re-install the OS.

Reinstall from macOS Recovery

OS X Recovery

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2021 11:29 AM in response to billykioso

I suggest you reinstall the OS. Do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart or hold down the option/alt key during a restart and select Recovery Volume). Run Disk Utility Verify/Repair Disk and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Then re-install the OS.

Reinstall from macOS Recovery

OS X Recovery

Oct 22, 2021 7:47 AM in response to billykioso

Hello, and welcome to Apple Support Communities billykioso,

We can your mom us unable to use Safari on her MacBook due to the prohibitory symbol.

For Yosemite, the latest version of Safari is 10.1.2. What happens when you removed the Safari 12.1.1 package? Does it allow her to get back on Safari after restarting her Mac?

If not, let's see if the steps include here help: Update or reinstall Safari for your computer. You might have to reinstall the macOS too: How to reinstall macOS. We wanted to make sure you have these steps if needed.

Keep us posted on the results! We're hoping this helped.

Oct 24, 2021 10:28 AM in response to tgok23

Many thanks for your reply ! Yes, Safari 12.1.1 is not recognised, but I don't understand why the Mac prompted her to update her Safari, as this is what made it unusable.

I tried to delete Safari but it won't let me (it says it's part of the system). So I downloaded Safari 10.1.2 and installed it. It made the successful installed sound, but the Safari icon remained the same and it still won't open (see pic).

It looks like she's forced to either reinstall macOS or simply use another browser, which seems easier.

Do you know if this was an issue with other Mac users? i.e. were others prompted to download incompatible versions of Safari? It seems this is where the problem started.

Help! Safari not working after update to OS 10.10.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.