Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to clear out the Other category from iMac HD?

Hi, my iMac HD is almost full, and when I go to Apple Menu > About this Mac > Manage [HD], I see that 475 GB is listed under "Other." I called Apple Support, the woman said that the only way to clear that category was by doing a complete erase of my HD. I said that if I do a complete erase, that I would have to restore from my Time Machine, which would probably replicate the problem. The woman said "that's correct." So according to at least on Apple Support person then, there is no way to clear up 475 GB of space on my Hard Drive. Any suggestions? Thx.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 8:23 AM

“Other” storage on Mac is files that don’t easily fall into the defined categories of “Audio" “Movies” “Photos” “Apps” and “Backups”. The types of files found in “Other" would include: 

• macOS system files

• Temporary files

• App plugins and extensions

• Browser and Mail caches

• Documents like .pdf, .psd, .doc,

• Disk images and archives like .dmg, .tar, .zip

You cannot directly manage the contents of this category. That is done by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

What you can do...

• Empty the Trash in the Dock.

• Empty the trash in the Photos app.

• Delete unused and unneeded installers from your downloads folder and desktop.

• Transfer files that you don’t use daily to an external drive. Files that take up the most room are movies, images and music.

• Force Time Machine to delete local snapshots:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204015

This from Apple on the subject of storage management:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206996

And this for a better, more thorough explanation:

What is “Other” and what can I do about it? - Apple Community (Kappy)

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2021 8:23 AM in response to Arandel

“Other” storage on Mac is files that don’t easily fall into the defined categories of “Audio" “Movies” “Photos” “Apps” and “Backups”. The types of files found in “Other" would include: 

• macOS system files

• Temporary files

• App plugins and extensions

• Browser and Mail caches

• Documents like .pdf, .psd, .doc,

• Disk images and archives like .dmg, .tar, .zip

You cannot directly manage the contents of this category. That is done by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

What you can do...

• Empty the Trash in the Dock.

• Empty the trash in the Photos app.

• Delete unused and unneeded installers from your downloads folder and desktop.

• Transfer files that you don’t use daily to an external drive. Files that take up the most room are movies, images and music.

• Force Time Machine to delete local snapshots:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204015

This from Apple on the subject of storage management:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206996

And this for a better, more thorough explanation:

What is “Other” and what can I do about it? - Apple Community (Kappy)

Oct 21, 2021 8:59 AM in response to Arandel

Forget about the Other category, what you need to do is to move large libraries which typically are:

• Photos
  • Music
  • Movies

all onto an external HD. The process is the same for each category, Apple explains in Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support how to do Photos and you use the same process for your music and movies libraries. Once done you can test them by double clicking each library and that will launch the app. For example double click the Photos library on the EHD and the Photos app will launch.

The next step is to free up the space on your internal drive by Trashing the 3 libraries stored on your internal drive and then emptying the Trash.

NEVER EVER let your internal drive get about 80-85% total capacity otherwise you can brick your Mac!!!!

Buy yourself a high quality EHD such as a OWC Mercury Elite Pro. These are reasonably priced, extremely reliable and you can upgrade the HD very easily!

Oct 22, 2021 7:00 PM in response to Arandel

I found a solution that worked for me. I reinstalled Mac OS using Recovery Mode (restart mac and hold down command + R keys: then choose reinstall Mac OS). I found this solution in a comment thread for a YouTube video on the subject. The "Other" category went from 475GB to 61 GB now, which is more manageable. BTW, the "Other" files were located in the "Library" folder. It's possible that the large "Other" storage was related to some problems I was having with Dropbox. The commenter in the YouTube thread who suggested this solution said he was having problems with Dropbox "smart sync" too.

How to clear out the Other category from iMac HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.