Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving mp3 to Apple Music app on ipad

how do i download mp3 on my ipad to my Apple Music app internally? I don't have another computer to sync to. It is my only computer device.

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 3:44 PM

mp3 files (music) can be directly downloaded or transferred to your iPad - but they will not be accessible to the native Apple Music App for playback.

If your intention is to play or organise your mp3 files using the Apple Music App, your mp3 files must first be imported to iTunes running on a PC or Mac computer - and then synchronised with the iPad.

The reason for this intentional limitation, imposed by Apple, is to protect Copyright. Digital Rights Management (DRM) prevents direct copying of copyright material between devices. This is intended to prevent the creation of illegal copies of potentially copyright material. ITunes (as installed on an external computer) performs the DRM function…

The iTunes Application on your PC/Mac maintains an authorised copy your media - whether this material is loaded from a CD, or downloaded from the Apple iTunes Service - and media derived from this library can be transferred to your iThings.

Outside of this mechanism, there are third-party Apps that allow you to play mp3 and other media files on your iPad.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2021 3:44 PM in response to Pjandthebear

mp3 files (music) can be directly downloaded or transferred to your iPad - but they will not be accessible to the native Apple Music App for playback.

If your intention is to play or organise your mp3 files using the Apple Music App, your mp3 files must first be imported to iTunes running on a PC or Mac computer - and then synchronised with the iPad.

The reason for this intentional limitation, imposed by Apple, is to protect Copyright. Digital Rights Management (DRM) prevents direct copying of copyright material between devices. This is intended to prevent the creation of illegal copies of potentially copyright material. ITunes (as installed on an external computer) performs the DRM function…

The iTunes Application on your PC/Mac maintains an authorised copy your media - whether this material is loaded from a CD, or downloaded from the Apple iTunes Service - and media derived from this library can be transferred to your iThings.

Outside of this mechanism, there are third-party Apps that allow you to play mp3 and other media files on your iPad.

Moving mp3 to Apple Music app on ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.