Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Project Gone After Crashed Export

Need help big time! Was working on a project in iMovie that I had just completed. I wanted to save it to my 2TB external drive. I selected to export it and selected my drive. After clicking ok iMovie crashed. I was prompted with a box saying iMovie had crashed and to reopen. After doing so my project was gone. What is odd is if I select new project, my "lost project" title is on the left under libraries. I went to the iMovie library in the finder and my project and original media is in that folder but isn't showing up on iMovie. I also reset iMovie preferences and that did nothing. I even dug into the iMovie backups folder praying it was there and it wasn't. It's not in the trash can. I can't imagine that my project is completely gone , I'm just hoping I'm not looking in the right place. I also hadn't setup time machine. Please Help!!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 9:48 AM

The good news is that your project is still intact in the iMovie library. Apparently when the crash occurred the link to it was broken.

In that you have already tried deleting preferences with no success, try booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder

menu for instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Then see if iMovie works properly. Don't try to open iMovie while in Safe Mode because it won't open there.

You can also try redownloading iMovie. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder. However, the download should be successful. Then see if the redownload re-established the link to your project.

If the above doesn't work, you can try creating a new library and copy your project from the Show Package Contents of your project's library into the Show Package Contents of the newly created library. Then try opening the project in the newly created library.

-- Rich

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2021 9:48 AM in response to stater212

The good news is that your project is still intact in the iMovie library. Apparently when the crash occurred the link to it was broken.

In that you have already tried deleting preferences with no success, try booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder

menu for instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Then see if iMovie works properly. Don't try to open iMovie while in Safe Mode because it won't open there.

You can also try redownloading iMovie. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder. However, the download should be successful. Then see if the redownload re-established the link to your project.

If the above doesn't work, you can try creating a new library and copy your project from the Show Package Contents of your project's library into the Show Package Contents of the newly created library. Then try opening the project in the newly created library.

-- Rich

iMovie Project Gone After Crashed Export

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.