Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How deep is the SD Card slot in the new 14" M1 MBP?

This is one of the things that excites me the most about them bringing it back. I used to keep a jetdrive lite in my old MBP SD slot as a second internal. I want to know the right depth for a flush sitting drive/reader on the new one.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 11:00 AM

Can confirm that it is the JetDrive Lite 330.

I have also tested the BaseQI iSDA 303A and it also fits perfectly and flush with the MBP 14". It seems like the dimensions for the new SDXC card ready is indentical to their 13".

Keep in mind that all of these (JetDrive and BaseQi) are UHS-I standard, so neither of these take advantage of the increased card reader speeds. I have heard that BaseQi is working on a UHS-II version coming out next year. No idea about Transcend's Jetdrive.

So if you want to wait for that, you can.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2021 11:00 AM in response to jkinnyc

Can confirm that it is the JetDrive Lite 330.

I have also tested the BaseQI iSDA 303A and it also fits perfectly and flush with the MBP 14". It seems like the dimensions for the new SDXC card ready is indentical to their 13".

Keep in mind that all of these (JetDrive and BaseQi) are UHS-I standard, so neither of these take advantage of the increased card reader speeds. I have heard that BaseQi is working on a UHS-II version coming out next year. No idea about Transcend's Jetdrive.

So if you want to wait for that, you can.

Oct 22, 2021 7:52 AM in response to jkinnyc

jkinnyc wrote:

This is one of the things that excites me the most about them bringing it back. I used to keep a jetdrive lite in my old MBP SD slot as a second internal. I want to know the right depth for a flush sitting drive/reader on the new one.

Maybe when the new 14" MBP hit the shelves you can visit an Apple Store— and report back your findings.

Oct 25, 2021 5:33 PM in response to jkinnyc

I have this identical question and honestly I am not sure we'll get a solid answer until someone gets a 14" in their hand and starts sticking things in the port to find out the depth.

I have an older 2013 MBP with a JetDrive that I desperately loved and relied on for external storage for simple files, photos and small backups.

Though a couple 14" MBP review videos have come out for the 2021 model and they have some images?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23ys9v1CGLk @ 2:22 mark.

Tom's Guide put in a SanDisk 128GB SD Card in his 14" and you can see it where the port cuts off the SD card; right above the 128GB words.

Thank god SanDisk has a pretty universal sticker design across most of their products, so you can probably try to guess the depth based on dimensions on the cards Amazon page. 0.09 x 0.94 x 1.26 inches

Some quick napkin math and using any image editor to compare pixel counts of the product image. The depth is about ~0.63 inches. Which is probably closest to the JetDrive Lite 330, which is suppose to be 0.66 inches in depth. Which should fit about right. It was made for the original 13" MBP, I imagine the 14" is similar in size.

How deep is the SD Card slot in the new 14" M1 MBP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.