Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod Mini Unable to Join Wi-Fi

My new HomePod mini cannot join my wifi. It is a university wifi that requires both the wireless/WI-FI/WLAN address to be manually inputed on the school's connect site. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get this address from my HomePod mini because it hasn't connected yet. Could apple just have a list of wifi and Mac addresses directory for the products they manufacture so that these issues can be resolved? This is not rocket science. Just link those addresses to the unique serial numbers of these products and have a dedicated site for us customers to be able to check!

Until that happens, I need help with getting the wireless and MAC addresses of my HomePod mini to be able to register it as one of my devices on my school's network so that HomePod mini can connect. £99 pounds is literally a white elephant staring at me right now!

HomePod mini, 14

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 2:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 4:42 AM

From If you can't set up HomePod - Apple Support:

• HomePod doesn't support public or subscription networks with sign-in requirements. These networks are often in places such as businesses, schools, dorms, blocks of flats, hotels and shops. 

You can obtain your HomePod's MAC address by setting it up on a regular router where you have access to its control panel and can review its wireless client list.

For best results HomePod needs to be on a wireless network that you control which has shared connectivity with your other devices, and nobody else's. The university wi-fi likely blocks traffic between devices and simply provides a gateway to the Internet.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2021 4:42 AM in response to elsaboathabeiku

From If you can't set up HomePod - Apple Support:

• HomePod doesn't support public or subscription networks with sign-in requirements. These networks are often in places such as businesses, schools, dorms, blocks of flats, hotels and shops. 

You can obtain your HomePod's MAC address by setting it up on a regular router where you have access to its control panel and can review its wireless client list.

For best results HomePod needs to be on a wireless network that you control which has shared connectivity with your other devices, and nobody else's. The university wi-fi likely blocks traffic between devices and simply provides a gateway to the Internet.

tt2

Oct 23, 2021 6:00 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for your swift response. I have 3 other apple devices on the school’s network; MacBook, iPad and an iPhone! This won’t be an issue if apple could just add the wireless and mac addresses in the leaflet that came with the HomePod or on their website! One could provide their details and proof of device ownership and be granted access to these addresses, I’m just saying! Amazon echo is listed on the list of devices to add, why not my HomePod?

HomePod Mini Unable to Join Wi-Fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.