Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to use a 3rd party fingerprint reader to work with Touch ID?

I am trying to get my mac off of my desk, into a cabinet when it operates. I love Touch ID - and have USBs built into my desk. Does touch id work/support 3rd party fingerprint readers?

I purchased the magic keyboard only to find out I would need to purchase a new mac for it to work. :-(

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 4:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 7:28 AM

Wyliecyote wrote:

I am trying to get my mac off of my desk, into a cabinet when it operates. I love Touch ID - and have USBs built into my desk. Does touch id work/support 3rd party fingerprint readers?

I purchased the magic keyboard only to find out I would need to purchase a new mac for it to work. :-(

No third party...sorry.

You can read more about the chip technology—Secure Enclave

About Touch ID advanced security technology - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2021 7:28 AM in response to Wyliecyote

Wyliecyote wrote:

No third party...sorry.

You can read more about the chip technology—Secure Enclave

About Touch ID advanced security technology - Apple Support

Is it possible to use a 3rd party fingerprint reader to work with Touch ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.