Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

giving away MacBook Air 2019/2020 BigSur

Not keeping my MacBook Air. Before it occurred to me to look for some Apple support recommendations, I backed it up and returned it to factory settings. I have NOT logged in or set it up. However, I never did some of the recommended steps in the support article(s). I have no idea how I could accomplish those steps now without setting it up again as my own, and I sure don’t want to do that. Do I need to be worrying about this? (Yes, I worry about everything 😉.)

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 2:41 PM

Hi JaniceLG,

Make sure that the following are true before you sell or give away your Mac in factory condition:

• Activation Lock is disabled. If your Mac starts up to the expected Setup Assistant, you're good to go. If it starts up to an Activate Mac window instead, you need to enter your Apple ID password first and then reinstall macOS.

• If your Mac has an Intel processor, a firmware password is not set on the machine. To check this, hold down the Option key as you power on or restart your Mac. If you see a large padlock with a password field, you need to remove the firmware password. Otherwise, you're good to go.

• Your Apple ID is no longer associated with the Mac. If your Mac is still linked to your Apple ID, you can disassociate your Mac by removing it in the Apple ID portal: https://appleid.apple.com
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2021 2:41 PM in response to JaniceLG

Hi JaniceLG,

Make sure that the following are true before you sell or give away your Mac in factory condition:

• Activation Lock is disabled. If your Mac starts up to the expected Setup Assistant, you're good to go. If it starts up to an Activate Mac window instead, you need to enter your Apple ID password first and then reinstall macOS.

• If your Mac has an Intel processor, a firmware password is not set on the machine. To check this, hold down the Option key as you power on or restart your Mac. If you see a large padlock with a password field, you need to remove the firmware password. Otherwise, you're good to go.

• Your Apple ID is no longer associated with the Mac. If your Mac is still linked to your Apple ID, you can disassociate your Mac by removing it in the Apple ID portal: https://appleid.apple.com

giving away MacBook Air 2019/2020 BigSur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.