Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 battery swelling

Any updates on this issue and apple is or isn’t doing about it?

Two weeks ago my battery stopped saying charged. It would say 100% but die in 5 mins and take forever to charge.

Phone was useless so I left it off until I could get to apple. Today I picked up the phone and noticed that the body was open… no damage to screen or back and it wasn’t in a case. The battery is swollen and opened the body.

Needless to say the phone is even more useless now.

What can I expect from apple when I go in? I hope it’s more than just a smile, nod and ‘oh, that’s too bad’.

thank you!

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 3:56 PM

11 replies

Oct 23, 2021 5:58 PM in response to muguy

i don’t think I said I waited two weeks.

I said two weeks ago the battery stopped keeping its charge out of the blue.

The phone has been off, sitting on my dresser, for the last 10-12 days. I noticed the phone body open this afternoon... I see this phone daily and it was fine this morning.

It sucks because the phone was fine and then out of the blue the battery acts up and then this. Sigh. Oh, well., thank

God for iCloud. Lol

Oct 23, 2021 6:06 PM in response to Khibb1

Now you know why the battery stopped working. I don't think the delay would have made much difference to the outcome, fortunately the battery has not ruptured yet.

Be aware a lithium battery which goes from working to mega swollen in 2 weeks is at risk of rupturing if the swelling continues to grow. Ruptured lithium batteries have a reputation for catching fire, so please put the defective phone somewhere safe and fire tolerant before you turn in for the night.

Oct 23, 2021 4:26 PM in response to Khibb1

When you go to your Genius Bar appointment I suggest you spend a few minutes looking at the contenders for a new iPhone. Depending how much damage was done when the battery forced your phone open it could be unrepairable, or you might consider the quoted cost of repair is uneconomic for a device which is roughly 4-5 years old. If you think of it as "new phone with new warranty" it might feel a little less painful.

Oct 23, 2021 7:10 PM in response to Khibb1

This is not a known Apple problem, this is a known Lithium Polymer battery issue that affects all devices using them. If the are worn out (health is less than 80%) or have failed they will swell. This is not covered by any makers warranty unless it is a shorted out battery and occurs during your warranty period and is not due to any damage to the phone.

iPhone 8 battery swelling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.