You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apparently I can't upgrade to macOS Big Sur because I have a macOS Sierra Mid 2011 version

I just realized I need to update my computer to the very latest version for my iMac in order to continue with my online business.

I have checked for updates in the past and it says there are none. I did not realize I won't get updates because my computer is so old. Of course...I can not afford a new desk top at this time.

Does anyone know how I can skirt around this issue and get the latest version without having to purchase another one?

My on-line business is my only source of extra income even though it has been quite slow this past several months.

Thank you for any help

La

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 9:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 11:37 AM

Not at all. You can continue to use your old system as long as it works. You just lose functionality over time. And, 10 years is a good, long time. Any new Mac will run Big Sur and likely provide you with many more years of use

5 replies

apparently I can't upgrade to macOS Big Sur because I have a macOS Sierra Mid 2011 version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.