Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine won't back up

Time Machine won't back up. I get a message saying that it cannot take a snapshot because there is not enough free space on the drive, when there is definitely plenty of space. I have tried with two different drives. When I first had the problem, I was able to use the second drive, which was a new drive to work. Then it stopped working with the second drive as well. Both drives work with my new Mac Pro.

What should I do?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 2:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 3:21 AM

Shinehah wrote:

Time Machine won't back up. I get a message saying that it cannot take a snapshot because there is not enough free space on the drive, when there is definitely plenty of space. I have tried with two different drives. When I first had the problem, I was able to use the second drive, which was a new drive to work. Then it stopped working with the second drive as well. Both drives work with my new Mac Pro.

What should I do?

Which drive is one referring to makes a difference.

If referring to External Drive OK.

But the message might be referring to the Internal Drive. The Time Machine Backup needs to make a Snapshot on the Internal Drive before it will transfers that SnapShot to the External Drive.

In Terminal \tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

The Terminal will show a list of local snapshots with names

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper safe to use

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2021 3:21 AM in response to madirmur59

Shinehah wrote:

What should I do?

Which drive is one referring to makes a difference.

If referring to External Drive OK.

But the message might be referring to the Internal Drive. The Time Machine Backup needs to make a Snapshot on the Internal Drive before it will transfers that SnapShot to the External Drive.

In Terminal \tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

The Terminal will show a list of local snapshots with names

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper safe to use

See used and available storage space on your Mac

time machine won't back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.