Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2017 Internet recovery fails

I was preparing my 2017 MBP 13in for sale and wiped the MacIntosh HD. Now the new owner tried to use Internet Recovery and it fails to verify the Sierra package. Is USB drive my only option left?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 5:52 PM

Try accessing Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to access the latest supported version of macOS which as of today would be macOS 12 Monterrey (at least in theory since some Macs will only boot to the OS which originally shipped on the Mac from the factory regardless of the keys used). If this is the case, then using a bootable macOS USB installer is the only option. Here is the Apple article with instructions on creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2021 5:52 PM in response to arvokem

Try accessing Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to access the latest supported version of macOS which as of today would be macOS 12 Monterrey (at least in theory since some Macs will only boot to the OS which originally shipped on the Mac from the factory regardless of the keys used). If this is the case, then using a bootable macOS USB installer is the only option. Here is the Apple article with instructions on creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Macbook Pro 2017 Internet recovery fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.