Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't find software update from system preferences

I have a Mac book pro and I currently have macOS 10.13.6 and I am unable to update my laptop. I've been told to go to system preferences and then go to software updates but the software update tab is not showing for me.

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 8:08 AM

HeriMart7 wrote:

I have a Mac book pro and I currently have macOS 10.13.6 and I am unable to update my laptop. I've been told to go to system preferences and then go to software updates but the software update tab is not showing for me.

Not all operating systems include this newer System Preference,

however you can always use the >About this Mac>Software Update

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2021 8:08 AM in response to HeriMart7

HeriMart7 wrote:

Not all operating systems include this newer System Preference,

however you can always use the >About this Mac>Software Update

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Oct 25, 2021 9:53 AM in response to ColinY

AS I said my 2011 MBP Unibody is running High Sierra (10.13.6) without any problem. It would be nice to be able to use Mojave on it but sadly its too old.

On the other hand I have a 2013 Mac Book Pro which came with Mavericks and I advanced its MacOS year by year as upgrades came along to the point where I ran Big Sur from 11.0 to 11.5 when It crashed and would not Recover Big Sur - nor anything down to Mavericks but one Mavericks was on and working I was able to upgrade it to Mojave which I really liked but sadly it crashed on that several times. Presently I have Mavericks installed but not yet complete. The machine came with Apples own SSD but of only 250 GB. That was never truly enough and I suspect the SSD is the cause of the problems especially 'perhaps' due to the extra strain of Big Sur, latest versions were too much! The MBP 2013 was always the oldest Mac considered ok for BS. I hear rumours that Cupertino is seeing/hearing of many more folk with problems like mine. I am planning to get the local Genius Bar to test it for me so that I can find a solution to get it working again.

ColinY

can't find software update from system preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.