Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk utility erase

Hi, I have a 10+ years old iMac I want to give away and try to factory reset it. When I access disk utility, the erase icon does not turn active and I cannot erase it. Any idea how to fix it? or other options to reset the iMac?

iMac 21.5″, 10.13

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 4:16 PM

Hello, Lantern4me.

In order to erase and restore the macOS on the startup drive, you have to boot the Mac in recovery mode. Do this by restarting the Mac, and when you hear the startup chime, press and hold the Command-R keys (⌘R) until you see the Apple logo and progress bar. When the Mac finally displays the macOS Utilities window, you can select Disk Utilities and proceed to erase the internal drive and then reinstall a fresh copy of macOS.

Please see:

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2021 4:16 PM in response to Lantern4me

Hello, Lantern4me.

In order to erase and restore the macOS on the startup drive, you have to boot the Mac in recovery mode. Do this by restarting the Mac, and when you hear the startup chime, press and hold the Command-R keys (⌘R) until you see the Apple logo and progress bar. When the Mac finally displays the macOS Utilities window, you can select Disk Utilities and proceed to erase the internal drive and then reinstall a fresh copy of macOS.

Please see:

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Disk utility erase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.