Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Announcement Notifications WAY louder than music - what the heck?

Why does the notification volume stay really loud when I turn down the volume while listening to music? Why doesn’t the Announcement Notification volume match the music volume? I have my AirPods in and I am listening to music very quietly. Life is good. Then I get a text message and the Announcement Notification is at full volume. I like the Announcement Notifications, but why is the volume not decreased to match the music listening volume? It is so freaking loud. How do I get the Announcement Notification volume to go down to match the same volume of the music to which I am listening? So obnoxious.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 12:41 PM

Hi Marty,

It seems you're having trouble with different volumes from different sound sources and we can help.

Notifications have a separate volume from media on your iPhone. Changing your media volume with the buttons doesn't change the alerts volume by default.

If you go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics, you can adjust the volume of notifications and alerts.

Adjust the volume on iPhone

You can enable the option to Change with Buttons on the Sounds & Haptics screen to make it so your volume buttons also change your ringer and alert volumes.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2021 12:41 PM in response to MartyB518

Hi Marty,

It seems you're having trouble with different volumes from different sound sources and we can help.

Notifications have a separate volume from media on your iPhone. Changing your media volume with the buttons doesn't change the alerts volume by default.

If you go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics, you can adjust the volume of notifications and alerts.

Adjust the volume on iPhone

You can enable the option to Change with Buttons on the Sounds & Haptics screen to make it so your volume buttons also change your ringer and alert volumes.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Announcement Notifications WAY louder than music - what the heck?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.