Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad Books keeps on downloading random PDF’s

Books on both my iPad Air and iPad Pro has periods where it will insist on downloading random PDF’s I have synced via iCloud. If I remove the download, it re-downloads again a few seconds later. Sometimes it will be one book, sometimes a dozen or more, all apparently randomly chosen from my collections. If I delete a PDF everywhere Books does stop downloading it, but as soon as I put the PDF back it downloads again. This will continue for hours, days or even weeks until I have my iPad cluttered with unwanted PDF’s, then it will suddenly stop for no reason and I can remove the downloads normally.

Restarting the iPad makes no difference, updating the iOS version makes no difference (currently on 15.2). If I delete all my books from iCloud then add them back again it’s ok for a while then suddenly starts up again.

This is driving me insane, as well as taking up space on my iPad.

What can I do?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 9:48 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 7, 2022 11:11 AM in response to MichelleT18

The problem is marked as "Solved" but it is not. I'm having the same problem. Random books are downloaded to my iPad from iCloud, I remove them from the device but come back again and again. The only solution so far has been removing the books "everywhere," but that defeats the purpose of having them in iCloud. Updated to 15.2 in the hope that this problem was solved but it is not. (iPad 9th gen, IOS 15.2)

Oct 26, 2021 4:06 PM in response to pumbers

Hi pumbers,

We understand that you're having an issue with PDFs being randomly downloaded to your iPad. The latest iPadOS is 15.1. You mentioned that you're on version 15.2. Are you on a beta version? If so, restoring to a public release of the iPadOS would be recommended. You'll want to make sure you have a backup from before you installed the beta in order to keep your data. This article explains how to remove a beta version: How to uninstall iOS or iPadOS beta software. Once you've done that you can test to see if you're still getting random downloads.

Hope this helps.

IPad Books keeps on downloading random PDF’s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.