Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventilator

Hi, my iMac often turns on the ventilator, without any demanding tasks (3D rendering, video conversion, etc.).

Martin

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 10:22 AM

Also make certain the air system is not blocked by surrounding items in and on your work areas.

The space between the air intakes and the desk surface must remain unobstructed. Place nothing in that area:

Likewise, do not obstruct the exhaust vent:

NOTE: After handling a similar question and doing some tests with my iMac 5K, I found the tipping the display fully forward causes the stand to be too close to th exhaust vent. I was able, using temperature monitoring software, see that this configuration WILL raise the internal temps enough for the fan to speed up.

Are you running any anti-virus or so-called "cleaning" apps?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2021 10:22 AM in response to mklug67

Also make certain the air system is not blocked by surrounding items in and on your work areas.

The space between the air intakes and the desk surface must remain unobstructed. Place nothing in that area:

Likewise, do not obstruct the exhaust vent:

NOTE: After handling a similar question and doing some tests with my iMac 5K, I found the tipping the display fully forward causes the stand to be too close to th exhaust vent. I was able, using temperature monitoring software, see that this configuration WILL raise the internal temps enough for the fan to speed up.

Are you running any anti-virus or so-called "cleaning" apps?

Oct 27, 2021 12:32 PM in response to mklug67

you don't need Avast it's not necessary on Mac OS it has built in protection, only Thing that we do recommend is

Malwarebytes, the free version is just fine, i have pro but only because it was brought over from my pc i use to have and it expires this year so i will be using free after. but that may be the reason for your fan noise .

Ventilator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.