Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Monterey - Mail unresponsive

When I open Mail, the dot appears beneath the icon in the dock but the Mail window doesn’t open. This was also an issue on Big Sur. To open the window successfully, Command/M is used to minimise the window into the right of dock. Clicking on the minimised icon will open the Mail window successfully in Big Sur. with OS Monterey however, the window appears but immediately disappears again.

I’ve been helped by Apple Support this morning but after various checks it was agreed I should reinstall the new OS. I’m now waiting for that process to complete.

Two other points. If I set up a new user account, Mail works as it should. The problem is isolated to my main account. Second, I use Bitdefender but have fully uninstalled it while I try to resolve the issue. The problem remains. After each change made in an attempt to resolve this, I have of course restarted the iMac. I’m posting this in hope of a helpful reply and in order to share it with others who might have encountered the same problem.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 12:32 PM

Various add-on anti-malware and add-on cleaner apps can and have caused corruptions.

It would seem your mail-related settings may well be corrupt, which can mean resetting and starting over with those.

4 replies

Oct 26, 2021 12:07 PM in response to MrHoffman

This sounds like the route I'm being guided along. The suggestion for cause at present is that I've brought something unwelcome to the new OS when using Time Machine to migrate files. Mail was particularly glitchy on the previous and very old 2009 iMac, so I can't categorically say that hasn't happened. I'm going to put another call in to Support tomorrow as the reinstall of Monterey has achieved nothing.

Mail functions as it should in a test user environment. In my main account Mail won't even open preferences so that points to something deeper I guess. Thanks for replying to my post.

Oct 27, 2021 3:17 AM in response to MrHoffman

After a very thorough and helpful hour on a call with Apple Support and despite best efforts, the issue could not be resolved on my main user account. The outcome was as you indicated, setting up a new user account with admin permissions, in which Mail operated correctly. A reinstall yesterday had no impact on the issue. I'm happy to leave the corrupted profile behind and take my time migrating files across to the new one. Once I'm satisfied I have everything I can then delete the old user profile for good.

I can't discount that over the years and through bad housekeeping, I've accumulated some unwanted debris which has led to this Mail problem.

OS Monterey - Mail unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.