You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging iPhone via iPad Magic Keyboard Pass through

Hello!

I have an iPhone, iPad Air 4th gen and Magic keyboard.

If the iPhone is plugged in via USB-C to the iPad, the iPad serves as a battery bank and charges the iPhone.

If the iPad is docked on the Magic keyboard and the keyboards extra USB-C port is supplied with power via the original 20W charging brick it charges both devices.

I really enjoy the configuration as it means when I travel I can occupy 1 wall socket and use a long USB-C cable to charge both devices… and the look of this set up looks kind of cool in my opinion!

I am aware the charging speed is impaired as 20W is being shared, and the iPhone definitely charges faster as its a smaller battery.

My question: Does using this configuration damage the battery life of the iPad or cause extra wear and tear to any of the aforementioned devices?

I would like to prolong the life span of the batteries and avoid any damage/repairs so I will avoid doing this set up unless travelling etc. however I have now found myself connecting things like this whenever I am charging as it feels cool.

Sorry if this is is a silly/obvious question but I would really like to know, as if the answer is yes I shall avoid doing this in excess.

Thank you for your help

iPad Air, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 1:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 2:21 PM

I would imagine the battery aging of the iPad would be accelerated since you’re causing it to work harder. If you have AppeCare+ that won’t matter so much as you will be able to get the battery replaced if it degrades enough during the 2 years but shouldn’t be your goal. Ultimately I wouldn’t suggest using this as your primary or consistent set up.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 26, 2021 2:21 PM in response to PianoMagicwithPhil

I would imagine the battery aging of the iPad would be accelerated since you’re causing it to work harder. If you have AppeCare+ that won’t matter so much as you will be able to get the battery replaced if it degrades enough during the 2 years but shouldn’t be your goal. Ultimately I wouldn’t suggest using this as your primary or consistent set up.

Oct 26, 2021 2:25 PM in response to KaeBFly

I understand. So what this means is that in this configuration the iPad is supplementing power for the charging of the iPhone

That is to say, the power isn't flowing in to the iPad, being equally split in 2 and going in to each device separately; it is charging the iPad and then the iPhone from the iPad?

If that is the case then I understand its better not to over use this... Thank you

Oct 26, 2021 4:33 PM in response to PianoMagicwithPhil

No speculation is required. No harm will come to either your iPad or iPhone using this arrangement. Your devices are operating as designed. Your iPad, iPhone and 20W USB-C Power Adapter are all USB-PD (Power Delivery) compliant - and are designed to optimally manage power according to your device’s power needs.

Battery life will not be impaired, for either device, beyond that expected of normal operation.

Charging iPhone via iPad Magic Keyboard Pass through

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.