Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey update kernel panic

It appears Monterey 12.0.1 has been installed but during startup recurring kernel panics prevent startup so it never starts up. Computer is for all intents and purposes, bricked.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 1:20 PM

After using Software Update in System Preferences to download Monterey and going through the install process the computer apparently installed the update but would not complete the restart. I did a hard restart twice attempting to tweak the restart but after several hours with no progress I decided to erase the drive with Disk Utility and install Monterey with an installer I'd previously download from the App Store. This installation and restart went smoothly and I restored my stuff from Time Machine during the set up process.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2021 1:20 PM in response to John H54

After using Software Update in System Preferences to download Monterey and going through the install process the computer apparently installed the update but would not complete the restart. I did a hard restart twice attempting to tweak the restart but after several hours with no progress I decided to erase the drive with Disk Utility and install Monterey with an installer I'd previously download from the App Store. This installation and restart went smoothly and I restored my stuff from Time Machine during the set up process.

Oct 26, 2021 3:14 PM in response to Michael Kemper

Try booting in Safe Mode:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

You may have some security software or something else using a kernel extension or system extension that is causing the kernel panic. These extensions have unrestricted access to the kernel at runtime. If the software is not compatible with Monterey it will crash the operating system. The extensions load at boot. Safe Mode should load without the extensions and other things. It's a minimal boot mode.

You will need to either upgrade the software that is causing the crash or you will need to remove it. Another source of problems is malware which may use extensions, etc.

I had to upgrade some software using a beta version from a vendor in order to be compatible with Monterey. Upgrading the very first day can be risky unless you have a super plain vanilla installation without any software dependencies adding risks. In these scenarios you need to make sure all that software is compatible with Monterey.

Oct 26, 2021 3:43 PM in response to Michael Kemper

This has also happened maybe to me and I learned also that one colleague of one relative. My laptop is dead and it doesn’t not switch on. My Mac book pro is only one year old. It is really so untimely this happens when you are so busy and I imagine Apple Store may not give me a replacement and may make me waste time with repair. I may be obliged to buy one new one for urgent work. Thank you Apple for not warning that this upgrade may be defective and make you miserable. In addition, I used the online chat service and felt like an idiot saying obvious solutions I tried as a long term Mac user. If this issue is known please train staff and say right away to book with Genius Bar than make you waste 25 minutes of your life with anguish. Be careful with this update it seems death of laptop happens.

Nov 7, 2021 7:57 PM in response to Michael Kemper

I'm actually facing a similar issue, where the kernel panic will happen a few times in a row before I can start using my Mac mini M1 again, I thought it was my Bluetooth keyboard/mouse that is causing the issue by looking at the Kernel Panic log.

panic(cpu 4 caller 0xfffffe0018217e00): IOBluetoothHIDDriver::setPowerState(0xfffffe150e8ec4b0 : 0xfffffe0019a57038, 1 -> 0) timed out after 10198 ms @IOServicePM.cpp:5524
Debugger message: panic

After some testing by turning off the Bluetooth, that wasn't the cause. Then I started digging a bit more into the log, and I found that it always kernel panic at the last run kernel extension "com.apple.filesystems.autofs"

last started kext at 7084541292: com.apple.filesystems.autofs	3.0 (addr 0xfffffe001798c7e0, size 5560)
loaded kexts:
com.apple.filesystems.autofs	3.0
com.apple.fileutil	20.036.15
com.apple.UVCService	1
com.apple.driver.AppleBiometricServices	1

So I went and turned off the FileVault and give it a try. And guess what, I can no longer reproduce the kernel panic again, but at the same time I'm losing FileVault.

Of course, I tried to reinstall the macOS Monterey via macOS Recovery, and turned on the FileVault, it was working fine for the first day, then it kernel panic again the next day morning.

Nov 8, 2021 5:57 AM in response to chungweileong

This doesn't sound like the same problem. The original post was about kernel panic at every boot never fully loading the operating system. However, you should certainly report this problem to Apple and the proper way to get this bug reported to the developers is to use the Apple Feedback Assistant.

https://feedbackassistant.apple.com

You should submit as much detail as possible, including the logs and the kernel dumps and the steps you took to recreate the problem. It's a bug that needs fixing.

Monterey update kernel panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.