Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app since installing OS Monterey

Mail app lists emails received on my Mac, in the browser box, but no longer shows the text or images when an email is selected - just a blank - only since installing OS Monterey.

I still receive all emails, including text and images, on my iPhone iOS 15.0.2.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 7:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 5:42 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, but I just stumbled upon a solution to the problem. The privacy rules had been increased on installing Monterey and so none of my mails could be read unless I pressed on a new button (one that I had missed before) to download the content of each mail. I've disabled the privacy mode and now things are back to normal.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2021 5:42 AM in response to Denis Williamson

Thanks for the suggestions, but I just stumbled upon a solution to the problem. The privacy rules had been increased on installing Monterey and so none of my mails could be read unless I pressed on a new button (one that I had missed before) to download the content of each mail. I've disabled the privacy mode and now things are back to normal.

Oct 27, 2021 5:25 PM in response to PRP_53

Yes, the image you show of the privacy settings is the one I opted out of. Since unchecking it everything is working well. I did note that my "Block All Remote Content" was not checked - the same as shown above - but that, in itself, was not enough to return the missing content of my mails.

I don't know how much this will affect my mail being hacked, but it was the only thing that allowed the mails to be read, so it was the preferred way to go.

Oct 30, 2021 6:28 PM in response to CynicG

#CynicG : Just to be clear, this is Privacy window in Mail and mine looks like this (below). I also hit "Rebuild" in the Mailbox menu a hundred times in trying to find my mails, so maybe that helped too.

Then I noticed an extra button in Mail that allowed me to read each mail, pressing this after selecting each mail : two clicks to read each mail. I didn't like this, so removed the tick/check in the box above. Oh, and then I restarted Mail. Hope this helps.

Jan 2, 2022 12:07 AM in response to Denis Williamson

Thats exactly what I found as well. It seems like a very confusing decision to require two clicks for each seperate email. Not to mention for me it would not even let me open the mail application at first after installing the new OS as apparently I "didn't have enough space on my home folder" even though I had 80GB of free space. This update to me at least feels like it has not been polished enough at even close to the same degree as the previous updates.

Jan 2, 2022 2:55 AM in response to ImDazza

it would not even let me open the mail application at first after installing the new OS as apparently I "didn't have enough space on my home folder"

That problem has plagued Mail since Catalina. Seems to be rather rare, and I haven’t figured out what causes it. I think it may be tied to local Time Machine snapshots, but deleting them to “make room” may have been coincidental.

Jan 2, 2022 3:12 PM in response to Barney-15E

Oh I didn’t even think of that, that might’ve helped me. Instead I have just gone back to Big Sur for probably another month or few as everything worked fine. Because i did manage to actually get into my mail eventually because i just removed my email accounts and then re enabled them once i managed to open the mail app, however what that did instead was cause multiple problems regarding the downloading of my previous emails so like i said i’ve just gone back to Big Sur

Feb 8, 2022 12:27 PM in response to Denis Williamson

As suggested in another post, I removed my Sophos Home antivirus and allowed full disk access (both begrudgingly) to Mail. I then restarted the computer, rebuilt the mailbox. This seemed to fix the problem, but A) what a pain in the @$$ and B) since WHEN do we have to lower the security of our computer JUST to receive HTML mail? It's ridiculous!

Mail app since installing OS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.