Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Maps Navigation tracking delay

There's closed topic from 2017 and as of today there were multiple app version iterations. Even after last big update with introduced 3d navigation, issue is still present.

I believe this one is major disadvantage of the app that prevents users to switch from other apps.

So the issue. When navigation is on and you drive, the pin always runs behind the real position on the map (around 500ms ). I'd call it tailgating effect. And when I already made turn, pin is showing turning. It's annoying since it feels unnatural. Sometimes it even leads to missed turns on freeways.

To summarize, I try to switch to Apple maps every new version, but unfortunately last 5 years this issue brings me back to Google Maps, which does show proper position on the map.

Is there something that I don't know? And is there a way to fix it?

iPhone 12

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 9:11 PM

1 reply

Oct 27, 2021 3:21 PM in response to airpods_max_user

Hello airpods_max_user,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. We can see how off-putting this must be, and we're here to help get you pointed in the right direction to get this resolved.

For this issue, we suggest following the steps in the section "Improve GPS accuracy" in the Apple Support article below, since it might help improve your location in Maps:

About privacy and Location Services in iOS and iPadOS

From there, we suggest taking any remaining steps and reporting the issue as explained here:

If Maps isn't working on your Apple device

If this concern isn't resolved after taking the steps above, we recommend that you contact Apple Support directly. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: 

Get Support

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Apple Maps Navigation tracking delay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.