You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Learn about all the features, apps, and settings of your iPhone

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

download iOS 14.8.1

How/where do I download the iOS 14.8.1 ...Restore.ipsw file so I can do an update via my iTunes rather than over the air or being forced to update to 15.1?

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 1:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 2:41 PM

I am in the same boat as you. OTA updates always make my iPhone gets buggy. However, I can't find the IPSW firmware anywhere!

Edit: I have read that Apple is only signing the update OTA so to ensure that people aren't able to downgrade at all

[Edited by Moderator]

18 replies

Nov 6, 2021 3:43 AM in response to MrGoldGameingYT

Sorry, this post was never about downgrading.

Sorry if that was not clear.

If ever the .Ipsw source file becomes available, then that might be possible.

Though I seem to recall that Apple (ahh, for the days of Steve) intended iOS15 to not be downgradeable. I would think, with careful pre-planning of local backups, it would be feasible? But that's a whole different post (though availability of .ipsw files would be part and parcel of the process....)

Nov 6, 2021 3:53 AM in response to MrGoldGameingYT

MrGold, if you have your old 14.8 local backups, then you might want to dig down into osxdaily.com for their 14.8 announcement article, I believe that had the .ipsw files thus you could download and do the Option-Restore button in iTunes routine to force 14.8 onto your iPad. I'm guessing you can't just downgrade because 15 probably changes file structures and value tables too extremely. You may even need to do a factory reset of your iPad? But, be aware, I am a tech, but I have never attempted such a critical move, data loss is Very Possible. (Bricking should not be, though you MAY be forced to stay in 15-land...)

Proceed at your own risk!

download iOS 14.8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.