Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey black menu bar ... how?

4 unexplained errors and 18 hours waiting ... Monterey is here ...

I had forgotten how much I do not like apple imposed changes ...

I am having trouble reading the menu bar. It is no longer black! It seems Ito merge with the desktop as if it were the same content rather than content belonging to the current app!

How do I turn the menu bar black (high contrast)?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 1:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 2:09 AM

System Preferences > Accessibility > Display > Display. Enable "Reduce transparency".

13 replies

Nov 23, 2021 11:18 AM in response to JayRunquist

JayRunquist wrote:

Dark mode in System Settings used to make the Menu bar black... I like the transparency across the board but am completely confused why Monterey's dark mode is actually NOT dark for the Menu bar. This has to be a bug, right?

I just remembered, there is a third-party app called "Boring Old Menu Bar" which will allow you to have a black menu bar without reducing transparency. There is a free trial…

https://www.publicspace.net/BoringOldMenuBar/

Dec 20, 2021 3:02 AM in response to Folbo

First off I was under the pression that the accessibility feature was for people with impairment what other disability. I don’t think that changing the color of a screen fit into that category. Unless I’m missing something. Shouldn’t this be better off in displays Forza menu and dock function?

nonetheless after searching I came upon the correct, albeit misplaced, answer

Thanks guys for the Guidance in navigating what should’ve been a very simple solution.

Monterey black menu bar ... how?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.