Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ios 15.1 battery drain

Updating 15.1 killing the battery life of my iphone 13 pro.

6% for a 5 minutes phone calling and 2 minutes of you tube video.

Anyone have same problem?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 1:08 PM

193 replies

Dec 13, 2021 7:40 PM in response to k_p95

@k_p95

Can you please clarify, did upgrading to 15.2 in fact resolve the iOS battery drain problem for you, with no other changes?

Many of us were happy with 15.02 and then 15.1 broke our battery life. So, we tend to be more cautious about future iOS upgrades after that when "battery life" is not mentioned in the upgrade support docs.

https://www.gottabemobile.com/5-things-to-know-about-the-ios-15-2-update/ says iOS 15.2 battery life is stable, but doesn't say that15.2t fixes battery drain for those with that problem. Not everyone is experiencing less battery life with 15.1 at this point, even if it's an issue for a large number of us.

That site did say "iOS 15.2 is already causing problems for some iPhone users. Some of these problems are brand new, others have carried over from iOS 15.1.1, iOS 15.1, and older versions of iOS. The current list of iOS 15-related issues includes installation issues, UI lag, Exchange issues, problems with first and third-party apps, hotspot problems, touchscreen issues, issues with Touch ID and Face ID, charging issues, and stuttering."

At https://www.gottabemobile.com/ios-15-problems-5-things-you-need-to-know/ they talk about problems plaguing iOS 15 in general.

They say, "The current list of iOS 15 problems includes some very common issues. iPhone users are having trouble downloading and installing the new software. If your iOS 15 installation gets stuck, try hard resetting your phone. This typically resolves the issue. We’re also seeing complaints about UI lag, AirPlay issues, Touch ID and Face ID issues, abnormal battery drain, issues with first and third-party apps, iMessage issues, Wi-Fi problems, a bug that’s deleted saved photos, Bluetooth problems particularly with hands-free systems in cars, CarPlay issues, lockups, freezes, and crashes. iPhone users who have moved to iOS 15 are also complaining about touch issues where the display doesn’t respond to swipes and gestures. This issue appears fairly widespread and we’ve noticed it on an iPhone 12 Pro."

They DO NOT SAY ABNORMAL BATTERY DRAIN IS DEFINITELY BETTER with 15.2, but they don't say that it's not better either. "If your device has been struggling with bugs and/or performance issues, think about giving the iOS 15.2 update a shot.

iOS 15.2 has six prominent bug fixes on board. The list includes:

• Fixes an issue where Siri may not respond while VoiceOver is running and iPhone is locked.
  • Fixes an issue where ProRAW photos may appear overexposed when viewing in third-party photo editing apps.
  • Fixes an issue where HomeKit scenes that include a garage door may not run from CarPlay when your iPhone is locked.
  • Fixes an issue where CarPlay may not update Now Playing information for certain apps.
  • Fixes an issue where video streaming apps may not load content on iPhone 13 models.
  • Fixes an issue where Calendar events may appear on the wrong day for Microsoft Exchange users.

New versions of iOS often fix unlisted issues as well. The iOS 15.2 update could fix performance issues like severe battery drain, busted Wi-Fi connectivity, UI lag, Bluetooth problems, random reboots, lockups and freezes, and various issues with first-party applications."

On the other hand, the list of security bugs that are patched in 15.2 is frightening to know they were there in 15.1 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212976

Dec 15, 2021 11:58 AM in response to therunawaygringo

I posted this over there, IT MIGHT HELP A LOT OF PEOPLE:

As posted in the 15.1 battery drain thread, some of the fixes that I found might help with 15.2 as well. I'm talking about drain that persists for more than the 1-3 days after an update while Spotlight is indexing. I had my iPhone 13 Pro Max and iPad Mini 6 BOTH draining enough to run dry in 20 hours of standby IN 15.1, and fixed it completely, so I'm still on 15.1 with no issues.

1) Turn off Apple News Widget on your Home Screen if you have it configured. I had seen that Apple News was using a lot of battery in "Settings > Battery" and I wasn't using it. Turning off background app refresh made no difference in battery use and drain in the background. Then I discovered the widget hiding on the screen to the left of the Home Screen that has my app icons, and turned it off. That reduced my drain from 5-7% per hour to only 3-5% per hour. I also turned off most of the other widgets except Calendar, Reminders, and Battery level for bluetooth accessories (watch, and AirPods).

• Turning off other widgets had no impact on battery drain.
  • Turning off push mail had no impact to improve battery.
  • Turning off Background app refresh had no impact on improving battery.
  • BEFORE I REMOVED APPLE NEW WIDGET EVEN LOW POWER MODE DIDN'T SEEM TO IMPROVE DRAIN.
  • ONLY AFTER I removed Apple News Widget did low power mode make a difference in drain, and in Low power mode I could get though a 16-18 hour day without plugging into power. But not till I did #2 below could I turn off low power mode.

2) I had my iPhone 13 Pro Max and iPad Mini 6 paired with my iMac and MacBook 16", and had "show this iPad/iPhone when connected with WiFi" turned on. I "Reset Network Settings" which broke this pairing, and COMPLETELY solved my battery drain issue. I was later able to plug my devices back into my iMac and pair/Trust them, but I made sure to turn OFF "show this iPad/iPhone when connected with WiFi" when I Trusted them, and the drain has not come back.

Apparently the WiFi network connection between iDevice and Macintosh computer maybe has the iDevice phoning home continuously in 15.1, even when you are not on the home, and this system resource is still draining the battery regardless of low power mode or not. But my best guess is that when the iDevice is NOT looking out for the computer constantly, with "show this device on wifi", then the drain goes away completely FOR ME. This might not be your problem.

therunawaygringo wrote:

I started a new thread for iOS 15.2 battery drain issues, so we don't clog up this one for people still on 15.1.

Oct 28, 2021 1:09 PM in response to simoneas7

Hello simoneas7,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand your concern with your iPhone's battery life after updating to iOS 15.1, and we'd be happy to look into this with you.

If your apps are up-to-date, please utilize the tips outlined in the following article and use your device as normal for 24-48 hours:

Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan

Let us know if you experience any improvement in the battery life. 

Also, check out this helpful information:

About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone

iPhone Battery and Performance

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Nov 17, 2021 5:02 AM in response to Estelle1974

Apple doesn't read user forums. But they do listen to engineers, who can sometimes be informed about frequent calls to Support about a persistent issue. So always ask your support operative to escalate to an engineer.

They also read feedback sent to their dedicated Feedback page.

I would encourage everyone to send feedback directly to Apple about this issue - the more messages they receive about it, the more likely they are to recognise it as a serious problem and do something about it.

You can do so here: https://www.apple.com/feedback

Jan 26, 2022 7:49 AM in response to garyfromkeswick

garyfromkeswick wrote: "...it's my daughters old 6S, I already have a Mophie battery pack on the phone..."

Gary ~ It sounds like that iPhone 6s still has its original 6 year-old battery. ...If that's the case, by now the battery is certainly weak with age & use – which is normal. The long process of applying an iOS update can strain a weak, aging battery and be the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back". Have the battery replaced and you also won't then need the Mophie battery pack...

iPhone Battery & Power Repair

õ¿õ¬

Dec 13, 2021 8:14 PM in response to DocJekyl

I updated via my device Settings > General > Software Update while on Wi-Fi and both devices connected to power.

• Note: The iPad completed the update first. The iPhone took a little longer when I was using a wireless charger. But when I connected to power, it finished in less than 5 min.

Hope this helps!

You should never be scared to update/complete software updates. They are created to improve your device functionality.

Give it a chance! :) Sorry you’ve been having some issues with it.

Dec 13, 2021 11:38 PM in response to k_p95

Thanks @k_p95, I'm glad you understand that I was just trying to get some specific info that might help us understand why your battery is not draining while ours do.

Background info to sum up my posts for the past 2 weeks:  Immediately after iOS 15.1 I was having battery drain @ 5-7% per hour & "Settings > Battery" was showing Apple News using a ton of battery when it wasn't running. Turning off background app refresh did not help. I tracked that down to the Apple News Widget running on the home page. Removed the widget and Apple News was no longer using 20-30% of my battery. 

But I still needed to engage low power mode to get through the day with my IPhone 13 Pro Max and iPad mini 6. So I turned off Push Mail, no help. But "Reset Network Settings" did have a big improvement.

Every time I did a "reset network settings" it helped for a day or two, but then my battery drain returned. Whenever I would "reset network settings", I'd have to rename my iPhone or iPad, connect to my wifi and turn on wifi calling, and then restore the connection between those devices and my iMac by plugging in and choosing to "trust" the iMac via the dialog box on the iPad or iPhone screen.

Then I realized that it was only AFTER I trusted my iMac connection and told it to "show this iPad when connected with wifi" that I saw the 4-5%/hr drain return.

I reset network settings again before going to bed late at 2:45 AM on Saturday Dec 11th, and I decided to NOT pair/trust my iPad and iPhone to connect wirelessly to my iMac, so I could see if not restoring that wireless "network connection" would help battery life. YEP! By not pairing my iPad to my iMac, iPad was no longer draining 4-5% per hour in standby.

I ran a standby battery life test on the iPad WITHOUT low power mode until I was down to 10% charge - I didn't use the iPad much during the first 2 days, and then I used it for almost 5 hours straight at the end during the last 50% of battery charge. Here is what I found (I had screen shots to help me with the timeline):

• The iPad battery was at 100% at 2:45AM Saturday Nov 11th when I unplugged it, and was still 100% when I woke up at 10:20AM that morning, almost 8 hours later! Previously the battery would have drained to 60-70% during that 8 hours.
  • By 6:45PM Nov 11th I had used it for about an hour and 15 minutes during the day and the battery was down to 85%.
  • By 11AM Sunday Dec 12th the battery was down to 70% with about 1hr 45 minutes of total use in the most recent 24 hour period before that (some of the battery usage reports to follow will overlap this time period).
  • By 6:34PM Sunday Dec 12th the battery was down to 62% with about 45 minutes of use during the previous 24 hours
  • By 1:15AM Sunday Dec 12th, almost ready for bed, the battery was still at 57%, with about 23 minutes of use over 24 hours.
  • Around 11AM Monday Dec 13th the battery was at 50%, then I used it almost 40 minutes straight & it dropped to 45%.
  • By 1:41PM Monday Dec 13th I had continued to use it, reaching 2hr 20 minutes of use, and battery had dropped to 29%
  • By 2:56PM Monday Dec 13th I had continued to use it, reaching 3hr 30 min of use, and battery had dropped to 14%
  • By 4:28PM Monday Dec 13th I had continued to use it, reaching 4hr 30 minutes of use today, and battery dropped to 10% and low power mode was engaged.
  • by 4:52PM Monday Dec 13th I had continued to use it, reaching 4hr 50 minutes of use today when it hit 2%. I uploaded my 10 screenshots that were pending and it dropped to 1% and I plugged it into iMac about 5PM, I "trusted" the computer and I turned off "show this iPad when connected with wifi".

I had used it for about 1.5 hours over the previous 48 hours, and another 4hr 50 min today, all while not being plugged in for a total of 66 hours. I think it averaged out to about 10 hours standby = 1 hour of use. Out of the almost 5 hours of battery usage today, 45% was Safari, 36% was Reddit, 5% was mail, 3% was Messages, 3% YouTube, 2% Settings, 2% FaceTime, 1% Home and Lock, 1% Twitter, 1% Find My, 1% Siri, 1% Photos. Somehow 101%...

• By 8:44PM Monday Dec 13th the battery was full again and I unplugged it from iMac.
  • Now at 12:31AM Tuesday the 14th, at 4.25 hours off the charger, I am still at 100%; whereas before "reset network settings" it would have drained down to 80-85% by now.

So, THE FIX = After "reset network settings" when you re-pair/trust my iPad to iMac do not turn on "show this iPad when connected with wifi".

I am not seeing the battery drain anymore, and I believe that turning off "show this iPad when connected with wifi" after upgrading to iOS 15.1 may help others too.

I tested iMazing Mini on the iMac to stay connected to the iPad and iPhone over wifi, and it's not draining the iPad battery at all. I can use iMazing for wireless backups to the iMac.

I will probably upgrade to iOS 15.2 in the next day or two, but I'd like to enjoy my new-found battery life a little longer before 15.2 forks up something else!

Nov 2, 2021 10:05 AM in response to nirmal150

I contacted Apple Support last night and they took me through the expected set of questions, remotely accessed my phone to pull a report, make suggestions on battery life preservation, and provide options for getting a new battery.

He also mentioned that there could be an issue with some apps not playing friendly with MacOS 15.1 and may require updating by the developers in order to reduce battery drain. He noted that there could be some apps not ready for iOS 15.1 which can drive up battery usage behind the scenes. Although he did not specifically point any out, except for the main Facebook app.

Notable Recommendations:

A) Change "Background App Refresh" to Wi-Fi only (or turn off altogether)

B) Turn off Background App Refresh for anything Facebook

C) Turn off Background App Refresh for anything not needing it.

D) Turn location services off or use set apps to "While Using"

E) Swipe Up ... All Apps Not Being used (turns out open apps still run in the background)

F) Update all your apps daily so they will function more efficiently on MacOS 15.1.

It is too early to know if these will help for certain but over the past 12 hours, the battery activity has dropped a little and the Facebook app (a real resource hog) has dropped out of the Number 1 spot for battery usage by app.

Summary: This is definitely a software issue with the responsibility on both App Developers and Apple. Apple can only fix so much because we may have individual apps that can generate insane amounts of battery usage if they don't work as efficiently with an updated operating system. It is a bit of a grey area. And kind of frustrating.

Either way, I am going to test these steps above, make sure all apps are updated, and monitor my Battery Usage by App going forward.

Good luck folks!

Shane

Nov 1, 2021 7:41 AM in response to simoneas7

My battery for iPhone 13 Pro Max was great, over 1 1/2 days with constant use. Now with 15.1 it is draining by the minute, I just reviewed the battery usage where it started today 1st Nov (prior days nothing): primary culprit is Mail and Safari. However, I lost 2% for just looking at 'Settings'. This is ridiculous.

Ios 15.1 battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.