Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My I-Phone speaker doesn't work when I make a call. Is something shut off?

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 3:34 PM

Try any or all of the following:

1. Hit the volume Up button, the on-screen indicator will show your setting.
  2. Make sure your iPhone is not connected to a Bluetooth device which you can't hear (car handsfree is a frequent trap for the unwary)
  3. Test the speaker outside a call. Try playing some music, or ask Siri a question like the day or date (check Siri Speaks is On)
  4. Test in a call, using speakerphone, regular phone-to-ear mode, Bluetooth if available. This will tell you if all routes are silent (probably settings) or some things work (possible hardware defect).

By this stage you should know more about the problem, and whether you can fix it yourself or you need to contact Apple Support to arrange a repair for broken hardware.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2021 3:34 PM in response to Pogo22

Try any or all of the following:

1. Hit the volume Up button, the on-screen indicator will show your setting.
  2. Make sure your iPhone is not connected to a Bluetooth device which you can't hear (car handsfree is a frequent trap for the unwary)
  3. Test the speaker outside a call. Try playing some music, or ask Siri a question like the day or date (check Siri Speaks is On)
  4. Test in a call, using speakerphone, regular phone-to-ear mode, Bluetooth if available. This will tell you if all routes are silent (probably settings) or some things work (possible hardware defect).

By this stage you should know more about the problem, and whether you can fix it yourself or you need to contact Apple Support to arrange a repair for broken hardware.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.