Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't Disk Utility remove all volumes?

I wiped out an external SSD in Disk Utility and created a APFS GUID Partition. Why is there an extra unmounted volume called APFS Physical Store disk2s2?

I thought wiping out the container removes all the volumes? IS the volume supposed to be there?

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 1:01 AM

Did you follow this help article: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support.

Specific with step number 3 & 4 in the help article, where you need to select the device (in your case "WD My Passport 0820 Media" then proceed with Erase).

Hope it helps.

Similar questions

6 replies

Oct 28, 2021 2:19 AM in response to DCarlson93

Follow the advise of @Sharhari and that should solve the issue.

Cautionary note - in supplied picture there appear to be a Volume called " CCC " - could that be short for Carbon Copy Cloners. If this drive was used with this Cloning Software - whatever is on there now will be Lost once the drive is properly reformatted.

Why doesn't Disk Utility remove all volumes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.