Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS crashes while playing 4k HDR YouTube in Chrome

System becomes unresponsive, shuts down and brings me back to login screen. So far I haven't been able to replicate it on Safari. I'm running Monterey 12.0.1. Anyone experiencing this issue?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 7:07 PM

Have you reviewed any kernel panic or app crash reports yet. If not, they should provide you with some potential clues as to why this may be happening.

Ref: If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

15 replies

Nov 11, 2021 9:49 AM in response to Incepted

For those interested, here is a link to the MacRumors thread devoted to this issue, currently 17 pages long: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/m1-pro-and-m1-max-macbook-pro-owners-complain-of-crashes-playing-hdr-youtube-videos.2321975/

Also, I discovered that switching the tab mode from "Separate" view to "Compact" view in Safari preferences significantly reduces the frequency of crashes. This is not a universal fix however, as I can still make my system crash using Chrome. Others have reporting that switching on the dark mode option on YouTube's website can help.

Nov 11, 2021 11:56 AM in response to Incepted

I have the same issue, started to happen to me lately, maybe after I updated into Monterey? maybe a lil bit after that(started to happen like 1-2 days ago). Going full screen on Safari while watching video on Youtube, it freezes and no response at all, I have managed to get green screen once; after that whenever it freezes like that on fullscreen on Safari&Youtube, I just press and hold to forceshutdown macbook and reopen it. The issue did not happen on Chrome for me, on the other hand, I switch to Chrome to watch fullscreen Youtube videos last a couple days. Need a new update to fix that issue imo, asap pls :x

Dec 2, 2021 1:06 PM in response to Sammy_B1

My new M1 Max MacBook Pro does not crash when watching the Costa Rica 4K HDR video on YouTube, but the HDR tag is missing during playback, and the stream is not HDR. Apple TV's 4K HDR ad nor downloadable 4K HDR clips from home video sites also do not display 4K HDR. 4K HDR problems may be due to a video codec corrected in an upcoming release. It looks like they fixed the crash bug in Monterey 12.0.1.

Dec 2, 2021 1:43 PM in response to EchoPeak

@EchoPeak The HDR tag is missing because the stream is not HDR, as you noticed. HDR video on YouTube has been disabled for many (though reportedly not all) M1 Pro MacBooks. The crash bug has definitely not been fixed in Monterey 12.0.1. I can get my machine to crash by enabling developer mode in Safari and setting the user agent to Windows/Chrome. I did not realize the HDR had been disabled for the Apple TV app as well however.

MacOS crashes while playing 4k HDR YouTube in Chrome

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.