Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

attach photo to email from photo stream stopped working iPad 1OS 15.0.2

This is a very recent behaviour change - I am trying to attach a photo from my photo stream to an email - the photo is visible in my stream in the iPad photos app but is not showing up when I click the attachment button in the Apple email app.

I have been doing this for years and do not understand why it is no longer working.

Have conducted basic troubleshooting

Assistance appreciated, thanks

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 7:11 PM

8 replies

Oct 28, 2021 3:17 PM in response to spmm

Hi there spmm,

We certainly want to help get you back to enjoying sharing photos with the Mail app, so let's start with some basics:

1. You mentioned already doing some troubleshooting, but which steps were tried?
  2. As you mentioned having iPadOS 15.0.2 installed, we recommend backing up, then updating to iPadOS 15.1: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
  3. Is this only happening with a specific photo, or does it occur with all photos in Photo Stream?
  4. Is your iPad using cellular, or a Wi-Fi connection currently?
  5. If you're using Wi-Fi, have you tested for this same issue when using a different Wi-Fi network?

Take care!

Oct 29, 2021 2:38 PM in response to spmm

Hey there spmm,

Our apologies on the confusion, as we now understand that you are able to see your photos, it's just that it's not showing when trying to send one in an email.

Based on the details you confirmed earlier, along with the steps tried, we also think this is unexpected behavior.

We recommend contacting Apple Support, letting them know what steps you've tried, and they'll take it from there.

Here's the link to reach them again just in case: Get Support

We you have you have a great day!

Oct 29, 2021 1:35 PM in response to spmm

Hey spmm,

Those details helped us better understand what's happening.

As you're signed into iCloud, and have My Photo Stream enabled, there are a few things to know about how long photos stay there. More details can be found in the first paragraph under 'How My Photo Stream works with iCloud Photos' here: My Photo Stream

While we recommend using iCloud Photos as it doesn't have the same restriction, along with more features available for your photos, the decision is up to you.

Here are more details about setting up iCloud Photos just in case you were interested: Set up and use iCloud Photos

If you still need more help with this, we recommend reaching out to Apple Support here: Get Support

Cheers!

Oct 28, 2021 7:29 PM in response to spmm

Hello spmm,

Thanks for letting us know it also occurs on your iPhone, along with those other details.

Let's continue ruling out some other possible causes by confirming the following:

1. You mentioned this was a recent issue, but when did it start?
  2. To clarify, you mentioned using Photo Stream, but this is a much older feature. Currently, Photos uses iCloud Photos to keep photos/videos synced across devices. How exactly are you using Photo Stream, and is iCloud Photos currently enabled under Settings > Your Name > iCloud > Photos?
  3. In the same settings page, does it show any photos currently syncing with your iPhone and iCloud?

Have a good one!

Oct 28, 2021 7:20 PM in response to bruno75

Hi Bruno,

1 - troubleshooting ie turning devices off and on, including turning around 3 times etc :) My iPhone doesn’t let me attach photos from an email, but the photo stream is showing correctly there.

2 - Updated to iPadOS 15.1 last night - problem remains.

3 - Photo stream photos after around 16 Oct - older photo stream still displaying for selection 

4 - Tried on both cellular and wi-fi

5 - Haven’t tried on a different wi-fi network - just use cellular when I am out 

thanks

spmm

Oct 28, 2021 8:51 PM in response to bruno75

Hi Bruno,

1 - I noticed this two days ago - not sure exactly when it started but I use the functionality at least once a week.

2 - In Settings> … Photos - iCloud Photos is not switched on as I choose not to store my photos in the cloud

3 - In Settings> … Photos - My Photo Stream is toggled on (Burst and Shared albums are also toggled on.)

cheers

spmm

Oct 29, 2021 2:31 PM in response to bruno75

Hi Bruno,

Photo Stream is working fine across the iPhone, Mac Pro and iPad, the most recent images are available - the issue is the recent change of behaviour on the iPad where I am no longer able to see and attach recent photo stream images to Email messages.

I can still see and attach photo stream images to Email on my Mac but that affects my workflow as I lose the option of mobility and thereby communication delays are introduced. The alternative is to open a photo and email it from the Photos app which is tedious as I often send a couple of shots in the same email.

I then usually review and delete a lot of photos using the iPad and see no point in wasting resources and bandwidth automatically sending the duds off for perpetual storage.

If this functionality (Email attachments from Photo stream on iPad) has been deliberately removed then it would be nice to be advised of that before it happens.

Kind regards spmm

Oct 30, 2021 1:32 AM in response to spmm

Hi Bruno,

I discovered a decent workaround for this - Split screen allows me to open Photos and Email at the same time and I can drag and drop images from Photos to an email.

Just thought I would pass this on for anyone else having the same problem. It is a bit more complex to execute initially.

Kind regards spmm

attach photo to email from photo stream stopped working iPad 1OS 15.0.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.