Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How effective is Safari at blocking Facebook

I am primarily a Firefox user for 2 reasons:

1. The Facebook Container extension
  2. Total Cookie Protection

For those that don't know, The Facebook container extension blocks any code on any webpage that phone back to or links to Facebook.

Total Cookie Protection basically isolates all first and third-party cookies in their own "cookie jar" that is unique to the website they were loaded from. So, with total cookie protection on, I can go to www.google.com, and and login to Google, open a new tab, go to a site with Google info on it, and the Google cookie I got from the previous page just doesn't exist on the new page, because it contains it's own cookie jar.

I HATE Facebook. I only use it occasionally when some family member forces me to accept an invitation to some event, or on the rare occasion that I want to buy something on Facebook marketplace.

With these two pieces of Firefox in place, I can be sure that I have done everything possible to keep Facebook from tracking me.

But I want to switch to Safari on my Mac. What can I do on Safari to make sure Facebook doesn't follow me around the web?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 7:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 3:41 PM

Hello amp68,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! We absolutely understand your concern with site tracking and are happy to provide some insight on how to use Safari with privacy. First, based on what you described, it sound like the feature to prevent cross-site tracking will work great for you. Here's more about this feature and how to enable it on your Mac:

Prevent cross-site tracking in Safari on Mac

1. In the Safari app  on your Mac, choose Safari > Preferences, then click Privacy.
  2. Select “Prevent cross-site tracking.”
  3. Unless you visit and interact with the third-party content provider as a first-party website, their cookies and website data are deleted.
  4. Social media sites often put Share, Like, or Comment buttons on other websites. These buttons can be used to track your web browsing—even if you don’t use them. Safari blocks that tracking. If you still want to use the buttons, you’ll be asked for your permission to allow the site to see your activities on the other websites.

For a Privacy Report that shows a list of known trackers who’ve been blocked from tracking you, see See who was blocked from tracking you.

Next, if you'd like further privacy when using the web, you might look at opening a private browser window for Safari:

Use Private Browsing in Safari on Mac

Either of those should help you accomplish what you mention.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2021 3:41 PM in response to amp68

Hello amp68,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! We absolutely understand your concern with site tracking and are happy to provide some insight on how to use Safari with privacy. First, based on what you described, it sound like the feature to prevent cross-site tracking will work great for you. Here's more about this feature and how to enable it on your Mac:

Prevent cross-site tracking in Safari on Mac

1. In the Safari app  on your Mac, choose Safari > Preferences, then click Privacy.
  2. Select “Prevent cross-site tracking.”
  3. Unless you visit and interact with the third-party content provider as a first-party website, their cookies and website data are deleted.
  4. Social media sites often put Share, Like, or Comment buttons on other websites. These buttons can be used to track your web browsing—even if you don’t use them. Safari blocks that tracking. If you still want to use the buttons, you’ll be asked for your permission to allow the site to see your activities on the other websites.

For a Privacy Report that shows a list of known trackers who’ve been blocked from tracking you, see See who was blocked from tracking you.

Next, if you'd like further privacy when using the web, you might look at opening a private browser window for Safari:

Use Private Browsing in Safari on Mac

Either of those should help you accomplish what you mention.

Have a great day!

How effective is Safari at blocking Facebook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.