Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Initiating iCloud service is terribly slow.

When I try to turn on iCloud the system-busy icon shows up and runs constantly. It has been at least 15 minutes. Is this normal?

I have an older MacBook Pro running Big Sur ver 11.6. My internet connection is strong (all three bars are black).

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 10:10 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 29, 2021 11:31 AM in response to AppMe!

Hello AppMe!,

We understand that you're experiencing an issue with iCloud, and we want to help.

To help us get a better understanding of the issue, we’d like to ask a few questions.

1. Just to confirm, were you attempting to enable iCloud Keychain when this issue occurred, or another iCloud feature? If you can't turn on iCloud Keychain, the information in the link you came from may help.
  2. Do any specific errors or messages appear when trying to turn on iCloud? If so, what does the error say?
  3. If you're trying to set up iCloud on your Mac, were you using these steps? Set up iCloud on your Mac

If you're unable to connect to iCloud successfully, please check out this link for some helpful steps: If you can't connect or sign in to iCloud

Take care!

Oct 30, 2021 11:08 AM in response to Brittany1416

Hi Brittany,

The problem is now fixed. All I needed to do was repeat the instructions from the "Set up iCloud on your Mac". (To the best of my recollection, those were the instructions that I was following on the first go-round).

You asked specifically if I was trying to enable iCloud Keychain. During this successful update the answer is "No", since I had Keychain unchecked. It may have been that I had Keychain checked during the first effort.

Thank you for your kind reply!

Initiating iCloud service is terribly slow.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.