Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a Sony STR-DH820 A/V Receiver, Is it compatible with the Apple TV 4K?

I have a Sony STR-DH820 A/V Receiver,(circa 2011.) Is it compatible with the Apple TV 4K or must I bypass the receiver and connect directly to the (4K) TV?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 9:55 AM

6 replies

Oct 29, 2021 9:16 AM in response to Crusheen

You receiver has HDMI 1.x ports (with HDCP 1.x), with aren’t sufficient for (commercial) 4K content. The alternative is to consider upgrading to an AV receiver with HDMI 2.0 (with HDCP 2.2) or even better HDMI 2.1 ports (with HDCP 2.3).

Such is the way of modern electronics. In 2011, the HDCP 2.2 specification was still three years away. No way to support that in advance.

Oct 29, 2021 9:19 AM in response to Crusheen

You may want to consider upgrading your receiver. I did this a few years ago when I got my Apple TV 4K. There a lot of receivers available these days that support video passthrough and a LOT of other new features you can take advantage of in a variety of price ranges.

The receiver I ended up with was an Onkyo TX NR686 which has since been upgraded. I think I paid $349 for it from Amazon.

I have a Sony STR-DH820 A/V Receiver, Is it compatible with the Apple TV 4K?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.