Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I import mp3 files to music playing apps (whichever works)?

I have a number of mp3 files in my ipad and I want listen to them, but I don't know how. none of the music apps (garage band, music, ituens) don't detect my files and it's impossible to import them.

Why does apple make things so complicated? I just want to listen to my mp3 musics.....

Does anyone know the answer? Please help me if you know the answer. thanks.

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 2:28 PM

5 replies

Nov 1, 2021 1:17 PM in response to MichelPM

Thanks for making me realize again how inconvenient Apple products are...

If that's the only way and there is no other way to import files within the system, I will just give ip listening to music with my iPad.... I have all my files in one device and I don't know why Apple doesn't allow me to use my files freely.

Thanks for your help though.

Oct 29, 2021 4:35 PM in response to bumjung272

The ONLY way I have found to play externally downloaded mp3 content is to download a third party app that is capable of importing ( sharing ) these mp3 audio files and playing them.

In the dowloads folder in the Files app, you will need to use the share icon/feature ( square icon with an upward facing arrow ) to import/share these files with another audio playing capable third party app.

Apps that I have found that work are third party paid notes apps with audio recording/playback capabilities/features.

The ones I have/use are

GoodNotes

Notability

Zoom Notes

Once you have paid/installed one of these apps to your iPad, In the downloads folder, in the Files app, you tap the square Share icon feature and look for one of these apps in either the horizontal or vertical app selection menu to share/copy/import these mp3 files into one of these apps and play these mp3 audio files within one of these third party notes app.

This has been THE ONLY way I could find to play externally downloaded audio files outside of the Apple Music app.

Best of Luck to You!

Nov 1, 2021 1:25 PM in response to bumjung272

VLC is free and should be able to access your downloads from the Files App directly. Just copy any files you want to see in VLC into its folder in the Files App.

Link-> https://apps.apple.com/us/app/vlc-for-mobile/id650377962

Unfortunately to avoid piracy and conform to the record label's demands, Apple does not allow the Music App to import music from outside itself or iTunes on a computer. Its entirely a restriction imposed by the Record Labels, not Apple unilaterally.

Oct 29, 2021 8:08 AM in response to MichelPM

I have the files in my 'download' folder in my iPad.

I don't know why I can't import these files to any of the music apps.

I've searched some ways and some people say that I need to connect my ipad to my pc and import them. Isn't there any easier way as the files are already in the device?

Sorry. I'm just so used to PCs and I don't understand how these apple products work.

Please let me know if you know the answer. Thanks!

how do I import mp3 files to music playing apps (whichever works)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.