Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Index Google Drive as External Volume

Hi guys, I have a problem to get my Google Drive volume indexed by mac os.

There are several workaround I have tried without any luck such as:

• Run terminal command sudo mdutil -i on /Volumes/GoogleDrive, only bring response:
/System/Volumes/Data/Volumes/GoogleDrive:
	Indexing and searching disabled.
  • Run terminal command sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SpotlightServer.plist ExternalVolumesIgnore -bool False, only bring response following code in the com.apple.SpotlightServer.plist
bplist00—_ExternalVolumesIgnore#$
  • Run terminal command sudo mdutil -E /Volumes/GoogleDrive, only bring response:
 mdutil disabling Spotlight: /System/Volumes/Data/Volumes/GoogleDrive -> kMDConfigSearchLevelOff
	Indexing and searching disabled.
  • Run terminal command sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist and sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist
  • Upgrade to macOS Monterey
  • Look for .metadata_never_index, there is no such files found in the google drive volume
  • Reinstall google drive several times
  • Adding and removing google drive from spotlight preferences

Any advise will be very appreciated. Losing search ability means losing productivity for me.

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 5:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 8:24 AM

A few points of clarification:

1. It was apparently possible to have Big Sur in a configuration that didn't allow indexing/searching of google drive, but this could be remedied by changing the configuration using one of several methods. The problem did NOT exist for me when running Big Sur, nor does it exist today for a colleague sitting 6 feet away still running Big Sur and the same version of google drive as me.
  2. The problem occurred upon upgrading to Monterey, with no change in the google drive version.
  3. It is not "streamed content" that is being searched. The problem occurs even when the content is set for offline access, meaning in some form, a copy exists locally. Conversely, until Monterey, Spotlight searched google drive content whether or not stored locally--apparently it was able to index the google drive "short cuts"), and running Monterey, Spotlight can still search Dropbox content, whether set to be accessed locally or not.
  4. A post in another forum indicated the poster had spoken with someone at google support and been told that they were aware of the problem, and in fact some support staff that worked on Macs were suffering from the problem, and they too were hoping for a fix from Apple.

In summary, it seems pretty clear that it was a change that occurred between Big Sur and Monterey that created the issue, and will require a further change to Monterey to remedy.

123 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2021 8:24 AM in response to sada67

A few points of clarification:

1. It was apparently possible to have Big Sur in a configuration that didn't allow indexing/searching of google drive, but this could be remedied by changing the configuration using one of several methods. The problem did NOT exist for me when running Big Sur, nor does it exist today for a colleague sitting 6 feet away still running Big Sur and the same version of google drive as me.
  2. The problem occurred upon upgrading to Monterey, with no change in the google drive version.
  3. It is not "streamed content" that is being searched. The problem occurs even when the content is set for offline access, meaning in some form, a copy exists locally. Conversely, until Monterey, Spotlight searched google drive content whether or not stored locally--apparently it was able to index the google drive "short cuts"), and running Monterey, Spotlight can still search Dropbox content, whether set to be accessed locally or not.
  4. A post in another forum indicated the poster had spoken with someone at google support and been told that they were aware of the problem, and in fact some support staff that worked on Macs were suffering from the problem, and they too were hoping for a fix from Apple.

In summary, it seems pretty clear that it was a change that occurred between Big Sur and Monterey that created the issue, and will require a further change to Monterey to remedy.

Jan 25, 2022 5:38 PM in response to ramadhs

Not sure if I'm the last one figuring out this trick, but just to make sure you know this:

An alternative way to make this work is by clicking on the Google Drive icon on top, then the Magnifier icon. The search box works almost as good as Spotlight.

I know the extra click step is not ideal, but until Apple\Google decides to fix this, it may help. I have 400GB+ streamed storage, and this seems to work smoothly.

Nov 8, 2021 12:47 PM in response to ramadhs

This is a new issue with Monterey. Seems it was possible for this to occur under previous MacOS but could be fixed using the mdutil command indicated by ramadhs. This, however, seems to clearly be a new issue introduced with Monterey (see the comments at the link above). I expect (hope) Apple is aware and working on this, because it really impacts productivity. I don't know the best way to make noise with Apple, but it was suggested on a google forum that the issue be posted at this link: https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html, and perhaps it would help to have as many squeaky wheels as possible.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Dec 2, 2021 1:31 PM in response to ramadhs

I believe that I may have just found the solution to what everyone has identified as the problem with indexing (i.e., non-indexing) the main Google drive folder on a Mac running Monterey.

Solution that worked for me:

Steps: I went to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Full Disk Access -> then check the box adjacent to GoogleSoftwareUpdateDaemon

Here is a screenshot:

After I checked the box noted above (illustrated in the screenshot above), my Mac Pro 2013 running Monterey began indexing my main Google Drive folder, such that I could perform a search for files and folders within Finder.

Couple of notes:

1. I already previously had a box checked adjacent to Google Drive.App in the same location under Full Disk Access as described above (so you might want to make sure that box is checked on your computer).
  2. Shown here:
  3. Prior to the Steps noted above, I had also gone to System Preferences -> Spotlight -> Privacy … and then dragged the main Google Drive folder into area marked “Prevent spotlight from searching these locations” … I waited a minute … and then I highlighted that main Google Drive folder within that preferences spotlight box and clicked the minus button to remove it … because I had read in another forum that such removal would prompt the Mac to begin re-indexing that main Google Drive folder. I am not 100% sure if this preferences spotlight add/remove trick is what fixed it, or if the Steps noted above is what fixed it. I think it was the Steps noted above (at the top of my post) that fixed the indexing issue, but I am making note of this trick just in case you want to do this as well.
  4. Screenshot here:

Hope this helps.

Nov 30, 2021 11:41 AM in response to jiminysprocket

A few more points of clarification:

1. Worked perfectly with Catalina;
  2. Still works with Catalina--a colleague who didn't update his OS has confirmed--so it was a change in MacOS, not in Google Drive, that caused the problem (colleague is running the same version of Google Drive as me);
  3. Alfred doesn't solve the problem entirely for me, because I use the Spotlight search feature built into the standard application File-->Save as and File-->Open dialogs to quickly go to a nested folder on Google Drive without having to drill down multiple layers when saving or opening a file;
  4. But, Alfred is able to index and search Google Drive, which means Apple should be able to fix whatever they broke as well (and if they can't figure it out, I bet the Alfred folks would be happy to share their expertise for the right price 😉).

Feb 3, 2022 7:32 AM in response to ramadhs

I see the following Change log for Google Drive but can't seem to update to this version:

January 27, 2022 - Bug fix release

Windows and macOS: Version 55.0

• Windows and macOS: Users can now search all their Drive content from the Drive for desktop UI
  • macOS: Resolved an issue when connecting a camera.
  • Resolved an issue where a USB device can block Drive from loading. 
  • Additional bug fixes and performance improvements.

Note: Drive for desktop native search requires version 50 or above.

Ending support for older versions: Support has ended for versions of Drive released more than 12 months ago. Users with Drive for desktop versions 40 through 46 must upgrade to remain supported.

Jul 6, 2022 3:45 AM in response to urcaluca

Hi guys,

I just noticed the following setting. This needs to be enabled manually.

Spotlight integration

When this is enabled, search text you enter in Spotlight will be sent to Google in order to find matching Drive files.

I just tried it. It's not perfect as it takes long before I get any result. After typing and waiting, (maybe 30seconds or longer) you see the Google Drive icon spinning to search for results. After that, it show results in 'Other'.  

Please check and try!

Nov 2, 2021 5:07 PM in response to Alias7

Same here. Previously the terminal command can forced the indexing process to begin. But not now.

Now I'm searching files through google drive in browser and install application launcher for google drive in chrome extension to open files with apps in the computer. Which is pretty troublesome for me.

Nov 9, 2021 12:28 AM in response to ramadhs

The previous question was auto locked after 30 days with no response.

There are no workarounds for indexing streamed content. The only options are to Mirror, or move the folders out of the stream to another location and then use Sync preferences in Folders from your computer.

All I can suggest is to use the app feedback to let Google know your thoughts.

Regards,

Peter

Nov 30, 2021 10:37 AM in response to ramadhs

Spotlight very likely can only index physically mounted drives, and the Google Drive app is creating a convenience network mapping between Google's servers and its faux mount point in macOS. Although this gives the appearance of local files, it may not satisfy Spotlight's indexing criterion.

Once exception is iCloud Drive, which Spotlight does index because it is mirrored in ~/Library/Mobile Documents, and Apple has designed it to do this.

Unable to Index Google Drive as External Volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.