Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS updating

what does PK download error 3 mean

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 5:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 7:28 AM

The Go64 is Trusted and suggested by more Senior Contributors on these Forums It is used to identify the 32 bit applications and prepare to upgrade or replace the 32 Bit Application to a 64 Bit application.

Mojave is the last version of macOS that supports any 32 bit anything.

As for what version to upgrade too - would suggest High Sierra and once that is achieved , one can move up the chain to whatever version the computer qualifies for.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2021 7:28 AM in response to ClarksMac

The Go64 is Trusted and suggested by more Senior Contributors on these Forums It is used to identify the 32 bit applications and prepare to upgrade or replace the 32 Bit Application to a 64 Bit application.

Mojave is the last version of macOS that supports any 32 bit anything.

As for what version to upgrade too - would suggest High Sierra and once that is achieved , one can move up the chain to whatever version the computer qualifies for.

Nov 1, 2021 7:06 AM in response to ClarksMac

The Apple Store on Sierra will no longer show the versions above like High Sierra, Mojave , Catalina, Big Sur or , Monterey.

This is because, at the time High Sierra may have been offered as an upGrade - the user ( you ) chose not to upGrade at that time. Nothing wrong with that, it just makes the upGrade process a bit more complication but doable.

If intending to upgrade to Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur or Monterey - suggesting to upgrade to High Sierra first. This will better position the computer to convert to the new APFS format and install any BOOT ROMs required to work with the filing system. Each of the already mentioned newer versions Mojave etc. need to work on the APFS system

To achieve the High Sierra upgrade - your choice see below >>

The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install. Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

With the above information in-hand - follow this How to get old versions of macOS and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install.  For Best results use Safari to commence the download as Others may not work.

As Added information Tips Big Sir Upgrade

As Added information Tips Monterey Upgrade 

Make Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

Notation - Mojave is the Last version to support 32 bit applications / extensions and Drivers. Catalina, Big Sur & Monterey supports only 64 bit and there is no workaround.

Suggest using Go64 to find 32 bit application before attempting the upGrade. Some or many of the Application already installed may required update or upGrades to 64 Bit Versions.

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation

Oct 29, 2021 8:14 AM in response to ClarksMac

Often time it mean the Full Installer of whoever upGrade version of macOS is Corrupted.

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

Nov 1, 2021 6:48 AM in response to PRP_53

Hello,

the computer has Sierra 10.12.6 and was trying to download and install Monterey.

Last week I was trying to use the compter for am online seminar and the had to use my iPhone because the server said my Safari was out of date and not compatible.

Funny thing is when I go to the App store to check for updates it says none are available, but after going through the Apple home page it offerd the Montery update.

Also, I have aboiut 82g of available storage on my mac.

thanks

Nov 1, 2021 7:18 AM in response to PRP_53

Hello again and thanks for your reply.

So it sounds like I need to go to "go64" and make those upgrades and then install High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina... in the prgression before installing Monterey.

also, I dont have a Anti-virus, Disk cleaner or any of the other apps you mention that might cause havoc.

I tried to keep the computer as unencumbered as possible and stay away from untrusted suites as much as possible..

I appreciate your help, thanks again.

MacOS updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.