Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image Transparency Issues

I am having an issue where some of my images are losing their transparency within the photos app. They appear as transparent in thumbnails, but if I select the image it has a background. Moreover, it keeps the background when I try to import or upload them anywhere. The source image is definitely a transparent PNG, as I can share them other ways without losing the transparency. But I need the images for artwork in Procreate, and cannot import them any other way.

As you can see, the thumbnail suggests transparency, but the actual file is not. This applies to the last 4 images in the preview bar.

the bizarre thing is it seems to only be an issue with these images, which I have used before with no problems. The next two images, 5 and 6 from the right, are also transparent, however they act as they should both when viewing in the app and importing to procreate. I have tried creating a new transparent image, and that worked fine as well. However, reuploading the problem images did not. Nothing I have been able to try has worked.

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 6:11 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 29, 2021 6:28 PM in response to DarthCaedusII

Hi there DarthCaedusII,

While we'd like to help however we can regarding the issue you're having with viewing these photos, we need to better understand what's happening:

1. Are we correct in saying that in Photos, all of your photos are showing this icon on the screen? If that's not right, please provide us more specific details. The more we have, the better equipped we'll be to assist.
  2. Have the same photos ever worked without any issues in the Photos app, and if yes, when did this first start?
  3. As you have a compatible iPad model, the latest version is iPadOS 15.1. You can verify this within Settings > General > About. Here's a link that'll show how to first back up, then Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  4. If you already have iPadOS 15.1 installed, have you tried a restart of your iPhone? This link shows how to Restart your iPhone.

We look forward to hearing back from you about these details. Take care!

Nov 1, 2021 1:04 PM in response to DarthCaedusII

Hey DarthCaedusII,

While you can share videos of what's occurring with Apple Support on their Twitter channel, or even when chatting them, you may need to reach out to them for a better understanding of what's happening.

We're still not understanding fully what's happening from the details you provided so far. This may be in part to this issue being mixed with using the third-party app Procreate. While you may need to reach out to Procreate support about this, we only recommend that if needed. We still want to help however we can, but we need more specific details:

1. We are unable to make the connection between the details/screenshot you provided and what the actual issue is that's occurring. What exactly is happening with those three photos while viewing them in the Photos app? The more specific you can be, the better.
  2. Any updates available for Procreate? Here are the steps to check: How to manually update apps on your Apple device
  3. If you use iCloud Photos, does the same issue occur with those same three photos when viewing them on your other Apple devices?

Have a good one!

Nov 1, 2021 11:02 AM in response to bruno75

Hi, thanks for getting back.

1. I’m not sure what icon you mean. I haven’t noticed anything like that popping up. An image I was using AS an icon lost its transparency. Sorry if there was confusion there.
  2. Yes, there were three images that had the problem, and I had used all three before with no issue.
  3. I have updated and restarted my ipad since the issue, it didn’t seem to change anything.

additional information:

1. I have tried using the original Procreate file to export new versions of the image, but it did not work. However, I tested making a new image, from scratch, and that DID keep its transparency for some reason.
  2. The Procreate files have no trouble keeping their transparency when exported to other locations, so I am fairly convinced the problem lies with the photo app specifically.

Nov 2, 2021 10:28 PM in response to DarthCaedusII

Hello, Procreate FAQ states:

Photos app automatically includes a solid background when your exported canvasses bigger than 4900.x 4900px or smaller than 360+360px.

I must assume they are talking about Apples Camera roll can you confirm if this is an iOS 15.1 limitation/condition?

I am not able to export with transparency either something has changed but both Procreate and iOS are updated so I am trying to find the root cause.

I am able to download an image online, created in Procreate to camera roll, with transparent background retained which points at Procreate 2 being responsible. I have just raised a ticket with them but they don’t respond very quickly from previous experience.

when exporting to retain transparent background your image needs to be no bigger than 4900x 4900px and no smaller than 360x360px as “photos app automatically includes a solid background

Image Transparency Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.