Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

11.2 Update Preventing Me from Opening Numbers File?

I have a 2012 MBP running on Catalina. I'm suddenly unable to open an existing numbers file (let's call it current)...getting the "you need to update numbers" message. I assume it has something to do with the 11.2 update that I'm unable to get because I'm on Catalina. I'm able to open a file from last year just fine. I'm not seeing any differential in the "get details" module so I'm not quite sure why older files open and this current one doesn't.

I have a 2021 iPad Pro (with numbers updated) and occasionally open the current file on it. Is that possibly the issue? And if so, what is my workaround? It's too robust of a file to work extensively on the iPad so I really need to get a version that will run on 11.1 numbers.

Any help is much appreciated.

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 8:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 6:57 AM

It's likely you opened the document on your iPad and the format was updated, and now your old version on your Mac can't open it. You can still open it at iCloud.com, however. Perhaps you could go to Numbers for iCloud and download a copy in Excel format. Then on your Mac open that Excel document. You may lose formatting put at least you get the document back on your Mac.

Sounds as if it's time to trade in your aging Mac and get something newer that can run modern versions of Numbers.

SG

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2021 6:57 AM in response to danileb

It's likely you opened the document on your iPad and the format was updated, and now your old version on your Mac can't open it. You can still open it at iCloud.com, however. Perhaps you could go to Numbers for iCloud and download a copy in Excel format. Then on your Mac open that Excel document. You may lose formatting put at least you get the document back on your Mac.

Sounds as if it's time to trade in your aging Mac and get something newer that can run modern versions of Numbers.

SG

Oct 30, 2021 9:44 AM in response to SGIII

This worked for me. I opened in iCloud.com then restored to a prior version that I hadn’t edited on my iPad and downloaded a numbers copy just fine. Thanks so much.

A new MBP is on the agenda over the next few months now that the M1 is out w/o the touch bar. But at least my immediate issue is fixed!

11.2 Update Preventing Me from Opening Numbers File?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.