Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no permission

i can't do anything with my files, keep saying no permission

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 8:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 3:29 PM

maycieme Said:

"no permission: I wanted to rotate the image in my desktop, so i click it open it with image preview, rotate then close the window, it will give me dialog to save the changes then i will click save"

-------

Five Things to Try:

A. Try Refreshing Finder:

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: Finder
  4. Click: Relaunch button
  5. Click: Relaunch button

B. Single Out this User:

For temporary use, create a new administrator, seeing if you still get this error. If so, then it is an error in the macOS. If so, then it is an error with the current user. So, what you would do is trasnfereverything over to this new user, and then trash this current user.

C. Restore from a Backup:

Do you have a Time Machine Backup of your Mac that you created prior to this? If so, restore form it. If not, take this as a learning experience, knowing to always create a Time Machine backup of your Mac prior to making any major change to is (i.e. macOS upgrade), so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

D. Boot into Safe Mode:

Hold Down the Shift Key upon boot. Once at the login screen, release shift. See if it all now works. In Safe Mode, only necessary items load (i.e. the caches), and new preferences are set aside.

If nothing above works, then...

E. Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be lost, it's just that sometimes changes are made to your system, and then then processes become corrupted, technically. When reinstalling, deleted files are reinstalled, and misplaced files are moved back to where they should be. Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2021 3:29 PM in response to maycieme

maycieme Said:

"no permission: I wanted to rotate the image in my desktop, so i click it open it with image preview, rotate then close the window, it will give me dialog to save the changes then i will click save"

-------

Five Things to Try:

A. Try Refreshing Finder:

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: Finder
  4. Click: Relaunch button
  5. Click: Relaunch button

B. Single Out this User:

For temporary use, create a new administrator, seeing if you still get this error. If so, then it is an error in the macOS. If so, then it is an error with the current user. So, what you would do is trasnfereverything over to this new user, and then trash this current user.

C. Restore from a Backup:

Do you have a Time Machine Backup of your Mac that you created prior to this? If so, restore form it. If not, take this as a learning experience, knowing to always create a Time Machine backup of your Mac prior to making any major change to is (i.e. macOS upgrade), so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

D. Boot into Safe Mode:

Hold Down the Shift Key upon boot. Once at the login screen, release shift. See if it all now works. In Safe Mode, only necessary items load (i.e. the caches), and new preferences are set aside.

If nothing above works, then...

E. Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be lost, it's just that sometimes changes are made to your system, and then then processes become corrupted, technically. When reinstalling, deleted files are reinstalled, and misplaced files are moved back to where they should be. Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Oct 29, 2021 12:52 AM in response to TheLittles

I wanted to rotate the image in my desktop,

so i click it open it with image preview, rotate then close the window, it will give me dialog to save the changes then i will click save

then i will give me another dialog that i cant save due to i have no permission. Also if im going to copy my files to drives and from drives (External drive) to my macbook.

i dont know what is going on.

no permission

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.