You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging pattern of iPad 8th Gen to keep up good battery health

This question is all about iPad 8th Gen

1. Can I use my iPad while it's charging? Say I am looking at some videos or doing some graphical works.
  2. Would rapid discharging of the battery reduce the battery life? Say, I am using my iPad for day-to-day work, and my charging pattern is, I will charge it until 95% to 100%, then I will use it until it drains to 20% and charge it again.
  3. Can I keep the iPad plugged in while using it for a long time/ while doing some intensive tasks / while doing the day-to-day work?

Please provide some advice to keep up the battery health in the long run.

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 11:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 8:19 AM

Yes. You can use your iPad whilst it is charging.

Rapid discharge how? Normal use will pose no hazard to the battery. Your iPad will optimally charge its battery whilst it is connected to its Power Adapter. The only hard and fast rule is to never leave the iPad in a discharged state - as doing so can cause irreversible damage to the Li-ion battery.

Having an iPad continuously powered for extended periods is not an issue - as this is common practice in POS (Point of Sale) and Kiosk applications.

iPad will optimally manage battery charging - and may automatically change its charging strategy by reducing the maximum battery charge level to about 80% of maximum capacity. This strategy is intended to extend the life of the battery by reducing chemical ageing that occurs when the battery is continuously maintained 100% charge. When a “normal” charge/discharge pattern is resumed, charge to full capacity is restored.

More information about iPad’s battery management can be found here:

About iPad and iPhone Charge Management Feature – Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 29, 2021 8:19 AM in response to kavin-raju-s

Yes. You can use your iPad whilst it is charging.

Rapid discharge how? Normal use will pose no hazard to the battery. Your iPad will optimally charge its battery whilst it is connected to its Power Adapter. The only hard and fast rule is to never leave the iPad in a discharged state - as doing so can cause irreversible damage to the Li-ion battery.

Having an iPad continuously powered for extended periods is not an issue - as this is common practice in POS (Point of Sale) and Kiosk applications.

iPad will optimally manage battery charging - and may automatically change its charging strategy by reducing the maximum battery charge level to about 80% of maximum capacity. This strategy is intended to extend the life of the battery by reducing chemical ageing that occurs when the battery is continuously maintained 100% charge. When a “normal” charge/discharge pattern is resumed, charge to full capacity is restored.

More information about iPad’s battery management can be found here:

About iPad and iPhone Charge Management Feature – Apple Support

Oct 30, 2021 10:12 AM in response to kavin-raju-s

That’s hardly a “rapid” discharge. Discharging to 20%, 50%, 70% prior to recharge will no difference. Unless being left in a very low charge state, when damage can occur to the battery, the total number of battery charging cycles that the battery can sustain is broadly the same.

For every full charge cycle, the total amount of charge that the battery can accept reduces by a tiny amount. For iPad, the battery is quoted by Apple as being designed to retain 80% of initial battery capacity after 1000 full recharge cycles - a full charge cycle being any combination of charging that amounts to 100%. So, charging by 50%, 30% and 20% amounts to one full cycle.

Charging pattern of iPad 8th Gen to keep up good battery health

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.