Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 13 Promax Safari PDF Lag

HI, I recently upgraded to the Iphone 13 Promax. While browing PDF files in safari, scrolling of PDF lag and freezes before resuming. I have no such issues with Iphone 11 pro max with the same OS.

Safari address bar also sometimes goes missing and i have to close and reopen safari for the address bar to reappear.

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 5:31 AM

84 replies

Nov 12, 2021 1:04 PM in response to MichelleT18

I have had the same issue since upgrading to iPhone 13 Pro, both on iOS 15 and 15.1. While scrolling through a PDF on Safari, the frame rate drops to an incredibly low amount (less than 30fps). I have not experienced this with any other type of content, suggesting that Apple’s new adaptive refresh rate places the priority for PDF files too low.

Dec 21, 2021 6:21 PM in response to Sir_Wayne

Hey guys - I think I’ve worked out the issue. I called Apple support, got put through to a senior technician and he did a screen share with me. And guess what - the issue wasn’t there! So we ended the call and I was really confused. I tried a PDF again after the call and the issue was back. So I thought it would be a good idea to do a screen recording of the issue but guess what, it was gone again!!! So, the only thing I can think of is there’s an issue with the variable refresh rate of the screens on the iPhone 13s. I’m willing to bet that when screen sharing and screen recording the frame rate is locked at 30 FPS, which means the issue doesn’t happen. As soon as it tries to use 120 (or variable), it’s causing the problem. Could some of you see if the problem stops if you try a screen recording? Will confirm that this is likely the problem :)

Dec 21, 2021 7:14 PM in response to Math04

I’m 99.99% sure it’s the variable refresh rate of the screen that’s the problem here. As a workaround, I’ve worked out you can go to Settings - Accessibility - Motion and turn the Limit Frame Rate setting on. This will stop the issue. Pretty bad though that you need to limit the frame rate.

I have called Apple back, given them all the details (including a video of the issue and system diagnostics from the phone) to a senior technician who is raising this with the engineering team and will let me know what they say.

However the workaround I mentioned above does work.

Dec 28, 2021 2:49 PM in response to H1090

Yeah same issue here. No iOS Update fixed this so far. Restarting doesn‘t help at all. The only way to use Pdf files in safari properly is by limiting the framerate, turning on power saving mode or screenrecording. When promotion is activated it is very laggy to use, doesn‘t recognize all touches and gestures and won‘t reach even 60 Hertz

Jan 4, 2022 3:12 PM in response to Alexaapl

Hi all

I see a lot of people have issues with this particular issue on the iphone 13 pros.

I am writing in to say I also have this issue with the iPhone 13 pro IOS 15.2.

On my phone pdf scrolling is very smooth on mail, in safari the scrolling is maybe 20fps max and stutters pretty bad. Bad enough that I can really only read while it is not moving. Interestingly this problem does not appear in a screen recording but while I was recording it it would look bad.

I hope that Apple is able to take a look at this issue soon as I have experienced more issues with this phone than I have previously with iPhones.

Jan 13, 2022 8:03 PM in response to H1090

Please please please fix the PDF issue. I spend majority of my time scrolling scientific research papers and documents. Got the iPhone 13 pro max for the high performance and smooth almost buttery experience but this is anything but smooth. I am potentially considering returning this very expensive device. Come on guys, this one should be a no brainer! It is soooo important for some people!

cheers!

Jan 14, 2022 6:24 AM in response to harun90

Thank you dear for acknowledging the problem. I shall wait for the fix in the next update.

keep up the fantastic work guys - you guys made a very nice phone! And the OS is not bad. I recently switched from Android and while it does require some getting used to - it is not all that bad - you guys have come a long way.

keep it up!

Jan 25, 2022 11:51 AM in response to H1090

So far the best fix is to just download the file by clicking the share button and opening it in Files app. Everything will stay smooth and you won’t have to go to settings to turn ProMotion off and back on again.

But still, this isn’t ideal, I hope Apple will address this issue with the next iOS update. I think it might have something to do with WebKit apps in general, not just Safari (I’m guessing it also doesn’t appear in Apple Mail and Files app because it’s a modifiable PDF, but correct me if I’m wrong).

Iphone 13 Promax Safari PDF Lag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.