Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrading the 2021 Nvidia iMac 27 inch iMac

I just paid Apple $3400 and change for a refurbished Nvidia Imac loaded with Big Sur even though I asked Apple to install Mojave. When I received the iMac I immediately set it up. I didn't (and don't) like Big Sur and erased the internal 1TB SSD and tried to install software with my Time Machine Mojave Carbon Copy Clone backup. Didn't work. Is there any way I can install Mojave and get rid of Big Sur? I have literally hundreds and hundreds of 32 bit software apps that continue to work on my MacPro desktop garbage can computer. As I've been using Macs since 1986 and have never had this problem, I'm searching for an answer to my conundrum. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 2:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 3:10 PM

If it's been less than 14 days since the purchase of the iMac you can contact Apple and arrange for a no questions ask refund.

The 2020 27" iMac came with Catalina installed which also wouldn't support 32 bit apps.

So you have some options:

1 - if less than 14 days contact Apple for the return and refund.

2 - if over 14 days download and run the free GO64 app to see which of your apps will need updating or replacement.

3 - sell outright or trade in the iMac and try another refurbished iMac but one that is 2019 or earlier.

If you're concerned about MS Office apps consider the two free, open-source alternatives: LibreOffice and SoftMaker FreeOffice 2018.  Both can open, edit and save MS Office files in the MS Office format or their own format.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2021 3:10 PM in response to 64M

If it's been less than 14 days since the purchase of the iMac you can contact Apple and arrange for a no questions ask refund.

The 2020 27" iMac came with Catalina installed which also wouldn't support 32 bit apps.

So you have some options:

1 - if less than 14 days contact Apple for the return and refund.

2 - if over 14 days download and run the free GO64 app to see which of your apps will need updating or replacement.

3 - sell outright or trade in the iMac and try another refurbished iMac but one that is 2019 or earlier.

If you're concerned about MS Office apps consider the two free, open-source alternatives: LibreOffice and SoftMaker FreeOffice 2018.  Both can open, edit and save MS Office files in the MS Office format or their own format.

Downgrading the 2021 Nvidia iMac 27 inch iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.