Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your system has run out of application memory

Hi-

"Your system has run out of application memory"

I have started receiving this error(?) message frequently of late. Can't understand why - I have 16GB of RAM and activity monitor typically shows plenty of RAM available. How do I fix this annoyance?

Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 4:18 PM

If you are getting "Your system has run out of application memory" dialog boxes, and a list of most likely innocent apps listed, then here is the explanation.

For the record, there are 2 reasons for the "Your system has run out of application memory" dialog box.

A) Your boot disk has very low free storage, and macOS cannot create page/swap files to offload virtual memory contents to disk. This is generally not the case, but I mention because if you do have very low free storage, it might apply.

B) A process (or set of processes) have asked macOS for excessive amounts of virtual memory address space. Virtual memory address space requires macOS to create Virtual Memory Page Tables in the kernel address space to keep track of the application virtual addresses given out. Generally, if there is a memory leak (process asks for a virtual address range, uses the addresses, forgets to give them back, asks for another virtual address range, uses the addresses, wash, rinse, repeat), eventually there are so many virtual memory page table entries trying to keep track of the virtual addresses, that macOS no longer has memory available for applications, and you get the "Your system has run out of application memory".

If you look at Applications -> Utilties -> Activity Monitor -> View (menu) -> All Processes -> Memory (tab), you can see what processes are using lots of memory.

You can also issue the following command from Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal:

ps ax -o vsz,pid,comm | sort -n

which will display the virtual memory used sorted so the largest virtual memory consuming users are at the end. The virtual memory sizes are in 1024 byte units.

NOTE: I have seen situations where no single process is using all the memory, but rather a host of smaller processes are using up all the virtual memory. That is to say, a 100 instances of the same program all running with a moderate amount of memory eventually adds up to a lot of page table entries being used.

I have also seen users with 100's of web browser tabs open, where each tab is being managed by its own separate process. And just because you are not looking at any give tab, does not mean the Javascript running on that web page, is not taking up memory and virtual addresses.

60 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2021 4:18 PM in response to akfromnyc

If you are getting "Your system has run out of application memory" dialog boxes, and a list of most likely innocent apps listed, then here is the explanation.

For the record, there are 2 reasons for the "Your system has run out of application memory" dialog box.

A) Your boot disk has very low free storage, and macOS cannot create page/swap files to offload virtual memory contents to disk. This is generally not the case, but I mention because if you do have very low free storage, it might apply.

B) A process (or set of processes) have asked macOS for excessive amounts of virtual memory address space. Virtual memory address space requires macOS to create Virtual Memory Page Tables in the kernel address space to keep track of the application virtual addresses given out. Generally, if there is a memory leak (process asks for a virtual address range, uses the addresses, forgets to give them back, asks for another virtual address range, uses the addresses, wash, rinse, repeat), eventually there are so many virtual memory page table entries trying to keep track of the virtual addresses, that macOS no longer has memory available for applications, and you get the "Your system has run out of application memory".

If you look at Applications -> Utilties -> Activity Monitor -> View (menu) -> All Processes -> Memory (tab), you can see what processes are using lots of memory.

You can also issue the following command from Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal:

ps ax -o vsz,pid,comm | sort -n

which will display the virtual memory used sorted so the largest virtual memory consuming users are at the end. The virtual memory sizes are in 1024 byte units.

NOTE: I have seen situations where no single process is using all the memory, but rather a host of smaller processes are using up all the virtual memory. That is to say, a 100 instances of the same program all running with a moderate amount of memory eventually adds up to a lot of page table entries being used.

I have also seen users with 100's of web browser tabs open, where each tab is being managed by its own separate process. And just because you are not looking at any give tab, does not mean the Javascript running on that web page, is not taking up memory and virtual addresses.

Jan 27, 2022 8:10 PM in response to janana01

janana01 wrote:

I would love to do it but i don’t work for apple. Tens of people are complaining it’s obviously a systemic bug. What are YOU doing to resolve this issue? Thank you

By the way. This is a user-to-user technical support forum, with unpaid volunteers providing help.

You are not talking to Apple.

If you wish to talk with Apple you can use this link Get Support

Or you can send Feedback to

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

Or you can get a free https://developer.apple.com account and file a bug report.

But the volunteers here can only provide help in the way of suggestions and education. We do not have access to any internal Apple information, nor systems, and we definitely do not have access to your system.

Which is why you have to do the investigation, as we have no way to do that for you.

Nov 26, 2021 12:58 PM in response to revoltforhealthcare

revoltforhealthcare wrote:
You did not. Why would this be happening with ANY app on a brand new M1 Mac with 16GB? It is ridiculous and a major Apple flaw!

A) I'm still not an Apple employee. B) I did not write any of this software. C) I volunteer my time here. D) I may consider requests, but I do not take "Demands" for my time.

Why would you getting "Your system has run out of applications memory" dialog boxes could be because you installed some 3rd party software that is misbehaving. I know from the company where I do work, that McAfee anti-virus package frequently goes bananas and consumes 10's of gigabytes of memory, and none of the McAfee background processes will be listed in the error dialog box, which is why you have to use Activity Monitor or the ps command from a Terminal session.

I've also run into applications that spawn lots of processes and while each process does not take a lot of memory, when you have a few hundred of them, they start to add up.

Many users have lots of web browser tabs open, and each of those browser tabs runs a Javascript program. It is not uncommon for a Javascript program to have a memory leak. Not a problem is you visit a page, and then close the window or tab, but if the tab remains open for days or weeks, and it leaks a little be everyday, that adds up.

I do not know how much free storage you have on your system. While most users, especially users that have new systems, tend to have a few hundred gigabytes of free (unused) storage, there are some Macs that do not come with a lot of storage, and users have been known fill up that storage with lots of pictures and movies, and other stuff so that there is very little free storage space left. Low free storage space is the other way this error can be triggered.

And sometimes there are bugs in the operating system. Monterey macOS 12 has a current leak as reported in several web blogs and magazines. Google: "monterey memory leak" and you will find multiple stories. I’m sure that this will be corrected in the future, but as I do not work for Apple, I do not know when that will happen.

Now why it is happening on your system, I do not know, because no one in these forums has access to your system, especially when it is happening (that is a good thing). Which means it is up to you to investigate.

If you still want to return your Mac, here is the Apple Return Policy

https://www.apple.com/shop/help/returns_refund

Assuming you got your Mac after November 1st, you have until January 8th, 2022 to return it to Apple for a full refund (these are the Apple Christmas gift buying and returning rules; then change to 14-days after Christmas Day).

Jan 27, 2022 12:53 PM in response to akfromnyc

Hi friends! This issue has been driving me BONKERS but I think I may have solved it. I am by no means a techy person at all, so I'm not really sure why or how this worked but I thought I would share it.

I am using a 2018 MacBook Pro with Monterey 12.0.1 installed, and as soon as I started using this new operating system I was constantly getting the alert "your system has run out of application memory" but none of the apps listed in the alert window were using more than a few hundred MB and I barely had anything open so I was super confused as to why this was happening. I have 330 GB available of 1 T memory as well.

I did some digging and googling and realized I needed to be looking at my activity monitor to see all of the processes currently running on my computer. Upon opening Activity Monitor, I saw that "WindowServer" was using 33.78 GB (for reference the next largest process was Chrome at 300 MB), so I double clicked it and even though I had no idea how important this process was and if doing this would erase my whole computer or something crazy, I was so frustrated with this issue that I selected "quit."

The computer went black for a few seconds and then came back with everything else still open and running just fine. "WindowServer" was now only showing around 100 MB. I have waited a few days to see if the problem was indeed solved, and so far I haven't had any issues! "WindowServer" is still below 500 MB (it fluctuates) and I have not had the "your system has run out of application memory" once since then whereas it was literally popping up every 10 minutes before. I still don't know what "WindowServer" is and to be honest I don't care, I am just relieved to finally be able to use my **** computer properly. I hope this helps some of you dealing with this issue too!

Nov 5, 2021 9:03 AM in response to akfromnyc

I ran today in the same problem. Got the notification screen about running out of memory. Firefox was using some 18 Gb RAM out of 16 Gb (?).

But I am unsure is Firefox the real problem.

There seems to be apparently Accessibility related background process ’universalaccessd’. The process in question has tendency to grow its memory usage every time the computer wakes up from sleep (+200-500~Mb) to ridiculous proportions (10-12Gb) until the computer is restarted.

I tested it today couple of times. First time with 30 sleep-wake up cycles and the end result was some 8 Gb memory used. After restarting the computer it again started from around 230 Mb memory usage. After uncountable number of S-WU cycles the memory usage had grown up to 12 Gb.

I did some research and tried to find some solutions (restarting, force quiting the process, unselecting accessibility options, uninstalling previously installed apps and stuff) but every time ’universalaccessd’ appears back and starts growing its memory usage.

Oct 30, 2021 11:51 PM in response to akfromnyc

As I stated in my reply, usr Activity Monitor and the ps command to figure out which processes are using all your virtual memory.

if the offending process(es) are not obvious, then you have to dig through the ps output and see if there is a group of processess adding up to a collective worse offender.

once you know what, you can decide if you can change your behaviohr, renove the softeare, get a vew version, etc…

Feb 8, 2022 10:13 AM in response to dootah

dootah wrote:

I'm having the same problem too. Didn't have it in my previous macbook pro running even more applications and it was definitely with a lower configuration. I have 64 Gigs of Memory and over 1TB of storage, so I'm not sure what the system is crying about. I'm guessing it's a bug and Apple hasn't yet thought about fixing it.

Read and follow the information here

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253310137?answerId=256190283022#256190283022

This will help you to identify the app, or more likely the background daemon or agent that is causing your problems. While it could be an Apple bug, it could also be a bug in an 3rd party program that has not been updated for your new macOS release, but is tripping over something that changed. It is difficult to tell unless the cause is identified.

Mar 2, 2022 8:21 PM in response to Pookina

Pookina wrote:

I'm having the same problem. It's been going on for the last week. I'm running an M1 Max MacBook Pro 16" with 32GB memory. Storage is half full. The message occurs even when the only things I have open are Safari and Finder.

Read and follow the information here

Your system has run out of application me… - Apple Community

This will help you to identify the app, or more likely the background daemon or agent that is causing your problems. While it could be an Apple bug, it could also be a bug in an 3rd party program that has not been updated for your new macOS release, but is tripping over something that changed. It is difficult to tell unless the cause is identified.

Jan 19, 2022 5:27 AM in response to akfromnyc

One of our employees received her brand new iMac M1 with 16mb of memory. She got the same error yesterday. I've attached it. Chrome appeared to be the culprit. There were no extensions other than google's. She onIy had five tabs open and they were all related to work. I had them restart the browser and clean the cache. So we will see.

We purchased quite a number of these machines in order to upgrade the employees' aging ones. So, I wonder how long before this shows up on the other ones?

Jan 27, 2022 1:26 PM in response to AlexandraTav

Sounds useful, thank you, Alexandra, I'll give that a try. Meanwhile just to double-check: is it normal for Safari Version 15.2 (17612.3.6.1.6) with 5 open tabs that contain mostly plain-text and basic HTML content to be showing this in the Activity Monitor? There are of course other processes named after each of the websites open, then there's a separate process for Safari, Safari Graphics and Media, Safari Networking...

Running macOS Monterey 12.1 on a MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) with 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, around 30GB of the 120GB SSD disk space free. This is how it usually starts to look a couple of hours before another "Your system has run out of application memory" comes on...

Your system has run out of application memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.