Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old ID for Itunes but new Apple ID

I set up an Itunes account in the 1990s, before Icloud etc. Then when Icloud came along [or a new computer, cant recall] I set up a dfiferent ID. Dumb, I know. For yeaars Itunes worked with the old account, automatically. But now it doesnt work. APPLE DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO SWITCH MY ITUNES ACCOUNT TO MY ICLOUD ID. Someone on this site said I would neeed to set up Family Sharing [for which I have to pay money] to accomplish this but warned it could be "kludgy," whatever the heck that means. I can only figure out that ethical, beloved Apple is herding people into the new Apple competitor with Spotify. But i like Spotify, do not want family sharing. I just want to change the ID on my Itunes account. I might be simple if I knew the password from the old Itunes account but Im 70 years old and who cn remember an ID from thirty years ago. WHAT CAN I DO -- WITHIOUT GIVING APPLE MORE MONEY? Grrr. I wish I werent trapped in the Apple moneysphere

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 11:32 AM

Howdy,

You do not have to pay money to setup and use Family Sharing. It just allows you to share purchases and things between members of your Immediate family, in this case, you and your old Apple ID.

See What is Family Sharing?

and Set up Family Sharing on Mac

If you don't remember your old Apple ID password see this page: Apple ID  Having trouble signing in?

Note there is also a link for if you forgot the Apple ID itself.

If you have no purchases on your new Apple ID you may be able to rename it to an extra (junk) email address.  That would free up that primary email address allowing you to rename your old Apple ID to your new (main) one.

See Change your Apple ID

Take care,

ivan

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2021 11:32 AM in response to sanfordius

Howdy,

You do not have to pay money to setup and use Family Sharing. It just allows you to share purchases and things between members of your Immediate family, in this case, you and your old Apple ID.

See What is Family Sharing?

and Set up Family Sharing on Mac

If you don't remember your old Apple ID password see this page: Apple ID  Having trouble signing in?

Note there is also a link for if you forgot the Apple ID itself.

If you have no purchases on your new Apple ID you may be able to rename it to an extra (junk) email address.  That would free up that primary email address allowing you to rename your old Apple ID to your new (main) one.

See Change your Apple ID

Take care,

ivan

Old ID for Itunes but new Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.