Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID regularly stops working since update to Monterey

I have an iMac M1 from 2020. I updated from Big Sur to Monterey a few days ago. Since then, every now and then, Touch ID stops working. When it happens, then it will work neither on the login screen nor in Safari or anywhere else. I have to reboot to temporarily fix it. After the reboot, it works for a few hours, then it stops again. I never had to reboot any computer as often as I am rebooting this iMac now, which is quite annoying, considering that I have been using all kind of computers from Windows to Linux very intensely for the past 20 years. My impression is that it works until the operating system goes to sleep, usually due to me being away from keyboard, although I am not entirely sure. I never had that kind of issue before the update to Monterey (12.0.1).

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 3:05 PM

Hello Leonid87,

From your post it appears you are having an issue with Touch ID working consistently.

Isolating it to not working after waking from sleep helps.

We would suggest you also test in safe mode. This will help to further isolate what is causing the problem. To start in safe mode, begin with the computer powered off. Follow the directions found here, depending on what type of Mac you have: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

The computer will take longer to start in safe mode, and the screen may have some distorted video as it starts up. This is normal. Once you are logged in, confirm Touch ID is working, let the system sleep, and then wake the system and see if Touch ID is working.

If everything seems to work as expected, go ahead and restart the computer normally and test again. Starting in safe mode forces the computer to run some disk checks similar to First Aid. This can resolve some issues.

Cheers.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2021 3:05 PM in response to Leonid87

Hello Leonid87,

From your post it appears you are having an issue with Touch ID working consistently.

Isolating it to not working after waking from sleep helps.

We would suggest you also test in safe mode. This will help to further isolate what is causing the problem. To start in safe mode, begin with the computer powered off. Follow the directions found here, depending on what type of Mac you have: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

The computer will take longer to start in safe mode, and the screen may have some distorted video as it starts up. This is normal. Once you are logged in, confirm Touch ID is working, let the system sleep, and then wake the system and see if Touch ID is working.

If everything seems to work as expected, go ahead and restart the computer normally and test again. Starting in safe mode forces the computer to run some disk checks similar to First Aid. This can resolve some issues.

Cheers.

Nov 2, 2021 4:19 AM in response to Matthew.S81

Thanks! This indeed solved the problem. At least, it hasn't happened for a day now, which is promising.

For the record, I also tried re-adding the fingerprints prior to doing what you suggested. It may be interesting that I received an error saying that registration of Touch ID failed and I should retry. The error appeared immediately when I clicked on the button for adding new fingerprints, even before me actually touching the fingerprint sensor. After rebooting (once again) I was then able to re-add the fingerprints. But the issues described in the original question remained.

Next, I tried what you suggested and yup, you know the outcome.

Thanks again!

Nov 6, 2021 10:32 AM in response to direktor

The problem has returned for me lately in a somewhat "reduced intensity". Touch ID works, but I have to actually press and hold the button for it to work. Just touching it will not work. As you mention, power cycling the keyboard fixes the issue. I'm wondering, whether it is the same issue you describe, so maybe you could try pressing and holding the button for like 3-5 seconds?

Nov 6, 2021 11:00 AM in response to Leonid87

I noticed things work with a longer press sometimes.

But then sometimes it’s just logged me out doing that, so I’m not like trying that all the time.

I think the worst part is is before Monterrey it all worked and I didn’t have to think about any of it. Now clearly, some of it is broken, with the possibility that they changed how it’s supposed to work and no instructions.

Its confusing and it sucks, and it sucks doubly because before Monterey I had a brand new M1 iMac that was working perfectly and now it’s a missing scroll and/or broken Touch ID about 3 times a day.

Nov 6, 2021 11:58 AM in response to direktor

I think you should open a new issue, since this here originally dealt with a somewhat different issue (Touch ID being totally dead as opposed to sometimes working using a long press) and is already marked as solved (which I cannot undo). Please share the link to the other issue so I can track it.

I totally share your frustration. My iMac wasn't three months old when I upgraded to Monterey and the problems started. Really wondering how that can be, given that these machines are their current most recent systems.

Touch ID regularly stops working since update to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.